Help needed in writing a chapter of my book.

Firstly I would like to add that I am hugely respectful of the armed forces. My grandad served in the army all over the globe in World War II, and my dad served in Northern Ireland and Germany.

I am writing a book that is basically about a detective. But in this particular chapter I want something defining to happen to him - like a call to action - which I want to occur when the character is serving in the army (character born in 1976) in 1998. I also want the character to be serving in some kind of special ops army unit capacity.

The most applicable setting I have found that I could add as the setting of this chapter is 1998 and the emergence of Al Qaeda. Perhaps my character could serve in some secret operation to bring down a fiction right hand man to Bin Laden in 1998?

Any insight or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

(Obviously feel free to put this post in another area of the forum if I have posted incorrectly - thanks)

Just a thought - a guy that's been Special Forces is probably not going to join the Police after his service. Given that all coppers have to start out as plods, I can imagine that would be very unappealing after being in SF. Having to be all PC and "inclusive" rather than double-tapping the guys head off doesn't seem to fit.

So to that end, is it realistic to have him be an SF bod in the Army? There are plenty of non-SF jobs in the Army (or indeed the RAF) that would take him to the Middle East in that timeframe, even if just on exercise.

Just a thought.

That was done in a "Frost" episode when it was discovered that he was ex-commando and had some bravery medal. Gung-ho has been done many times. :cool:

Just steal a chapter from ACAB's book.

jarrod248

LE
Gallery Guru
Sounds like some sort of Yorkshire infantry type who fell in love and drank lots of cheap beer. He has a air of sophistication about him and an eye for the boys.

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I think the book would be better if he is an ex matelot.

Prior to becoming a defective he went whoring it round the Far East getting gash tats.

It'd also be good if he had a Ferrari 308 and a moustache and a squinty eye like Columbo.

Basically Magnum PI but with Columbo's squinty eye and he's ex navy.

If you can somehow work in the Will Smith character from Bad Boys that would also be cool. He'll need some sort of catch phrase, give him Samuel L Jackson's vocabulary.

Hope this helps.

Here's an idea that also hasn't been done at all ever, Perhaps he could be on the other side of the law, perhaps an ex-serviceman who (with a group of others) was wrongly convicted of a crime they didn't commit. They'd be sent to a maximum security stockade from which they promptly escape into the underground of some large metropolis, and there, if you can find them, maybe you can hire them.

jarrod248

LE
Gallery Guru
Here's an idea that also hasn't been done at all ever, Perhaps he could be on the other side of the law, perhaps an ex-serviceman who (with a group of others) was wrongly convicted of a crime they didn't commit. They'd be sent to a maximum security stockade from which they promptly escape into the underground of some large metropolis, and there, if you can find them, maybe you can hire them.
But no planes?

If you want a defining moment for him how about having him take part in the search for mass graves in Bosnia etc.

ICTY and ICMP web sites should give you enough details.

If you really need him to kill someone then have him take part in an arrest attempt on a fictitious General who decides to go out with a bang.

Ok here's one for you, using some historical facts;

In 1998, simultaneous truck bomb explosions ripped through the embassies of the US in cities of Dar es-Salaam and Nairobi, in East Africa. Two years prior, Osama Bin Laden had declared a 'holy war' on the US, as a reaction to the latter's military presence in Saudi Arabia and the first Gulf War. In response to these attacks, the US launches 'Operation Infinite Reach', which targets al-Qaeda in Afghanistan and Sudan with cruise missile strikes. 75 missiles are fired into Afghanistan, which hit 4 jihadi training camps. The strikes were a failure, with the jihadists leaving the camps mostly vacant at the time. It's speculated that arrests made leading up to the strikes may have made them cautious. As a side note, this failed strike helps drive the desire for a UAV program which could provide better results.
Perhaps your SF chap can be a ground asset directing strikes? Perhaps he is on a (fictitious) side mission where he is supposed to bag a high level al-Qaeda member, maybe the big O himself?

Anyhow, that's a bit of real world history for what happened in regards to al-Qaeda in the 1998 time period.

The_Snail

ADC
RIP
I think the book would be better if he is an ex matelot.

Prior to becoming a defective he went whoring it round the Far East getting gash tats.

It'd also be good if he had a Ferrari 308 and a moustache and a squinty eye like Columbo.

Basically Magnum PI but with Columbo's squinty eye and he's ex navy.

If you can somehow work in the Will Smith character from Bad Boys that would also be cool. He'll need some sort of catch phrase, give him Samuel L Jackson's vocabulary.

Hope this helps.
samuel l jackson.jpg

L

lumpy2

Just a thought - a guy that's been Special Forces is probably not going to join the Police after his service. Given that all coppers have to start out as plods, I can imagine that would be very unappealing after being in SF. Having to be all PC and "inclusive" rather than double-tapping the guys head off doesn't seem to fit.

So to that end, is it realistic to have him be an SF bod in the Army? There are plenty of non-SF jobs in the Army (or indeed the RAF) that would take him to the Middle East in that timeframe, even if just on exercise.

Just a thought.

Could be a private detective?

Don't listen to Ravers, otherwise the walls will be covered with sperm, or worse.

How about a geeky Int Corps type, with pebble glasses, who speaks fluent Geek, and wears a handkerchief on his head to prevent baldness from constantly wearing earphones?

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
He definitely needs to be navy.

If you want him to have an edgy past, you could have him kill a taxi driver in a jungle clearing outside Bangkok because he thought he was about to be mugged.

Poppy

LE
Could be a private detective?
like Kate Atkiinson's character? I've met police etc who are ex-SF, it does happen

and to the OP have you never heard the old adage "write about what you know"?

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I'm thinking this might work better if it was set in 1960's East End London.

There should be a car chase where they have Daimler Darts and Mk2 Jags.

Also Timothy Spall should be in it, Timothy Spall rocks. I'd like to see him either as an older, wiser detective, maybe the main dude's boss? He should be really angry all the time and always pissed off with everyone. Like Axel Foley's boss in Beverly Hills Cop, but Timothy Spall.

Or failing that he should be the gang lord and he should kill someone really violently in an old bonded warehouse, surrounded by meat carcasses hanging from hooks.

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
We should have a brainstorming session together, I have some great ideas we can work into the plot.

How do you feel about adding in some sort of killer robot from the future with a Gatling gun for a hand?

We should have a brainstorming session together, I have some great ideas we can work into the plot.

How do you feel about adding in some sort of killer robot from the future with a Gatling gun for a hand?
what about an alcoholic, whore-mongering, chain smoking gambling robot who works for a delivery company? He could have a human friend who was accidentally frozen in the 20th century and unfrozen in the 30th century? I'd also write in a giant humanoid lobster and a cyclops.

Last edited:

Latest Threads