Help Needed Identifying Regiment

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by Jos, Aug 20, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Jos

Jos

Please can someone help identify the regiment of the soldiers in the following picture(s)?

Here is a copy of the original full picture:

Dad in Army.jpg

Here is a cropped version with a slightly better view of the Cap Badges:

Dad in Army copy.jpg

Thanks in advance :)

2. Gloucestershire Regiment. Wartime grey plastic version of the cap badge, worn on the Cap, GS.

3. Not the Glosters - not enough laurel leaves around the base of the sphinx for the Glosters:

[​IMG]

There are a lot of other regiments with the sphinx cap-badge and Egypt battle honour. The IIRC the South Lancs Volunteers had a badge like this, with a simple scroll beneath the Egypt battle honour.

By the look of the shoulder-patches, this was an infantry battalion that had converted to Royal Artillery (very common in WW2).

4. Lincolnshire Regiment looks like a good bet:

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  5. I rather think that is the Lincolns, or Royal Lincolnshire Regiment. Checked against the Badges of the British Army 1820-1960.

6. Agreed, a closer look at the shoulder flashes should help confirm as well.

7. Brotherton Lad

Brotherton Lad LE Reviewer

8. The Lincolnshires' 7th Battalion certainly became a Royal Artillery unit; becoming 102nd (Lincolnshire) Light AA Regiment Royal Artillery in 1941. It was very common for such regiments to retain their old cap-badges (or officers' collar-dogs) while simultaneously being referred to as RA.

I'm having a root through the other battalions - the 1st, 2nd & 4th Battalions certainly stayed as infantry.

102 L.A.A. REGIMENT, RA, 1939-45

9. I abase myself, too quick on the keyboard. Royal Lincolnshire Regiment looks far more likely.

10. Are those Canadian Pattern ammo boots?

11. I'm pretty certain that the shoulder-patches are for the Royal Artillery, although I cn't make out the lettering. The Royal Lincolnshires should have 'LINCOLNS' in white on red when serving as infantry, but this doesn't match:

[​IMG]

The two-tone arm-of-service strip would also tend to indicate Royal Artillery (who had red/blue strips, while infantry had plain red):

[​IMG]

12. Jos

Jos

Thanks for all the replies. Amazing response.

The lad on the left was my Grandfather, so it means quite a lot to me finding out a little more about him and what his regiment was up to in WWII.

His full name was George Bernard Fryer - maybe this can help confirm that the lads in the picture are indeed from the Lincolnshire Regiment, if someone has access to roll calls or something and cross reference this name??

Thanks again :)

13. It's probably my crap eyesight but the flashes look like RMP.

1.JPG
    2.JPG
    3.JPG
    wp4243ae7b_05_06.jpg

14. CMP during WW2, didn't become RMP until 1946.