Help needed from some one with experience of Breathing Apparatus

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
A friend of mine is not so well, and he purchased a breathing unit, which filters the air and gives him a supply of filtered air, to allow him to breathe when outside
however due to the way it works, and its design spec, the air is very cold
we need some one to assist us ( we can pay expenses) to make or modify the ductwork to incorporate a heating element and thermostat
I asked a company I know that do design work, but they would not modify anything from a manufacturer
I was thinking of a ceramic heating element inside an add on pipe, along with a thermocouple, and a battery pack
Although I am a sparks this sort of stuff is outside of my skill set
I am sure something like this exists, or could be added to it
when he spoke with the supplier they had been asked for this many times and said it would fill a gap in the market

here is an email from him to me to give you an idea

Hi XXXX re your email. The respirator is a Scott Duraflow respirator with a half mask fed by a 1" diameter flexible pipe. 120lts of air are delivered per minute.
I sent a letter to Sir James Dyson to see if they would come up with any ideas re heating the air flow, they would not consider looking at another manufactures goods.

Scotts were unable to help ( type approval certs etc )

The problem I have is severe emphysema exacerbation's are caused by among other things air pollution vehicle fumes, industrial fumes etc This issue is effectively dealt with by the

pro 2000 filters fitted to the respirator. The other major prob is air temp if between 15 and 20 degrees C breathing is much improved than when below 10 degrees C below about 5 or 6 degrees there are invariably severe difficulties in breathing if going outside.

If some form of heating element ( not giving off fumes ) could be fitted possibly within the feed pipe powered by a rechargeable source giving a min of 2 hours running time, which could be mounted on the respirators casing, and ideally with a temp control operating between 15 and 20 degrees C it would have a very beneficial effect on my quality of life.

I sent you a PDF on 3rd April this year by e mail.

I have been emergency admitted to hospital and kept in 4 times this year in addition to the flare ups which I just about manage to control. If any of your contacts can come up with a solution it may not only help me but also others in the same boat.

Fingers crossed . Thank you Chris.

A friend of mine is not so well, and he purchased a breathing unit, which filters the air and gives him a supply of filtered air, to allow him to breathe when outside
however due to the way it works, and its design spec, the air is very cold
we need some one to assist us ( we can pay expenses) to make or modify the ductwork to incorporate a heating element and thermostat
I asked a company I know that do design work, but they would not modify anything from a manufacturer
I was thinking of a ceramic heating element inside an add on pipe, along with a thermocouple, and a battery pack
Although I am a sparks this sort of stuff is outside of my skill set
I am sure something like this exists, or could be added to it
when he spoke with the supplier they had been asked for this many times and said it would fill a gap in the market

here is an email from him to me to give you an idea

Hi XXXX re your email. The respirator is a Scott Duraflow respirator with a half mask fed by a 1" diameter flexible pipe. 120lts of air are delivered per minute.
I sent a letter to Sir James Dyson to see if they would come up with any ideas re heating the air flow, they would not consider looking at another manufactures goods.

Scotts were unable to help ( type approval certs etc )

The problem I have is severe emphysema exacerbation's are caused by among other things air pollution vehicle fumes, industrial fumes etc This issue is effectively dealt with by the

pro 2000 filters fitted to the respirator. The other major prob is air temp if between 15 and 20 degrees C breathing is much improved than when below 10 degrees C below about 5 or 6 degrees there are invariably severe difficulties in breathing if going outside.

If some form of heating element ( not giving off fumes ) could be fitted possibly within the feed pipe powered by a rechargeable source giving a min of 2 hours running time, which could be mounted on the respirators casing, and ideally with a temp control operating between 15 and 20 degrees C it would have a very beneficial effect on my quality of life.

I sent you a PDF on 3rd April this year by e mail.

I have been emergency admitted to hospital and kept in 4 times this year in addition to the flare ups which I just about manage to control. If any of your contacts can come up with a solution it may not only help me but also others in the same boat.

Fingers crossed . Thank you Chris.
Might be worth looking at how temperature control for supplied air works:
C40, Advanced Temperature Control System, RPB Safety
If a full mask doesn't need to be supplied presumably it can be made more portable?

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
I am likely stating the obvious but with that level of respiratory issues your friend has, then he will have medical health care team input, so i assume they will have been approached for advice regarding the filtered air being too cold.

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
I am likely stating the obvious but with that level of respiratory issues your friend has, then he will have medical health care team input, so i assume they will have been approached for advice regarding the filtered air being too cold.
I am not sure, I will ask him when I pop over later this week
not been able to visit him for a few weeks due to car problems !!

Thanks for that
there are some clever people on here,
It seems such a thing does not exist for COPD sufferers which makes one think there is a reason that air heating isn’t incorporated. What that reason may be is way beyond me but the only thing I have really seen doing a bit of a google is keeping the supply hose under clothing and masks that work as passive heat exchangers.

The heat and moisture from exhaled air is captured and it then warms and moisturises inhaled air.

I hope you find a solution to ease your friend's breathing difficulties.

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
It seems such a thing does not exist for COPD sufferers which makes one think there is a reason that air heating isn’t incorporated. What that reason may be is way beyond me but the only thing I have really seen doing a bit of a google is keeping the supply hose under clothing and masks that work as passive heat exchangers.

The heat and moisture from exhaled air is captured and it then warms and moisturises inhaled air.

I hope you find a solution to ease your friend's breathing difficulties.
be nice to make the last few months bearable
hopefully some of the links I have been given will help
I am sure other people must need the same type of thing

LV Trace heating tape, as used on eternal water pipes, either inserted directly into the tube, or wrapped around it, LV rechargeable Batt pack ( motorcycle battery) via a stat, and some sort of isolating switch....just a random thought.

Re the masks that supposedly passively warm the air, I think these are for more active people. I'd be wary of anything that restricts breathing. From what I've seen in a house, clear plastic tubing can be quite long because the feed is under pressure from the source bottle or filter pump. I suppose a simple heat exchanger could be made with several meters of tubing, a cool bag or a laptop bag with added insulation. Instead of coolpacks use heatpacks. The amount of heat that gets in to the air depends on the line length and the flow rate, so would require experimentation.

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
LV Trace heating tape, as used on eternal water pipes, either inserted directly into the tube, or wrapped around it, LV rechargeable Batt pack ( motorcycle battery) via a stat, and some sort of isolating switch....just a random thought.
I am not sure how much heat the trace element would provide
for power I was thinking of cordless drill batteries, buy a cheapo cordless drill and then use the socket and battery as source power
however temperature control could be a problem, and you need to protect against infection and spoors being created
I weas thinking of an outer tube to create heat, I had not though of wrapping it around it

It is in the back of my mind that 3m do 2 different units one for cooling and one for heating air, I would guess they are bloody expensive.

I am not sure how much heat the trace element would provide
for power I was thinking of cordless drill batteries, buy a cheapo cordless drill and then use the socket and battery as source power
however temperature control could be a problem, and you need to protect against infection and spoors being created
I weas thinking of an outer tube to create heat, I had not though of wrapping it around it

Two tubes one inner, the air flow tube, and one outer, and between the trace heating tape, as for the MC battery, in a small shoulder bag, if viable, and stat and isolating switch to suit. Flexible conduit comes to mind. (Kopex)

Edit, my royalty's if this goes global are 10%,............ Bank details to follow!...(J.I.B. have been informed)

Last edited:
be nice to make the last few months bearable
hopefully some of the links I have been given will help
I am sure other people must need the same type of thing
That’s why I think there must be a reason that it isn’t readily available. The problem must affect many many people around the world every winter - you’d think it would be a standard feature (or at least a readily available optional extra) of such breathing apparatuses by now.

Re the masks that supposedly passively warm the air, I think these are for more active people. I'd be wary of anything that restricts breathing.
Good point well made. It would probably be prudent for this gentleman to do nothing radically different without first discussing it with his healthcare professional. It would be pretty awful if the best intentions led to a worsening of his condition.

Is heating the air at source an option,? at the air pump outlet to the pipe that supply's the mask, again with trace heating tape, or wrapped around the air intake filter,...maybe....just thinking aloud.

Where does it take in its air, could you heat it there or put near a radiator.

Sorry if it’s a daft suggestion and not teaching you to suck eggs.

Where does it take in its air, could you heat it there or put near a radiator.

Sorry if it’s a daft suggestion and not teaching you to suck eggs.
The only daft question is the question not asked (apparently) but in this inst. the brief is for when the gent is outdoors in cold weather.

Latest Threads