Help needed for lad joining army apprenticeship college

I am in need of a bit of advice, long time since I was in. I met a lad today who has been accepted into the college details are a bit hazy suffice to say it was via social services, if he goes he will no longer be provided for by them, accommodation etc any ideas if he can stay at the college during block leave etc. At the moment he will have literally have no where to live outside term time. He seemed an ok lad for one who has been through the system and I would hate for him to miss out on a potential career because of the all too difficult box. Any contacts information etc gratefully received.

There must be a few options, what kind of care is he in now if it is foster care are the foster carers prepared to take him when he comes home on leave, or any extended family members

He may make friends at College and get invited home by them

If he has been in care a long time is he not entitled to Care leavers status, may be they could find a foster carer who would have him

Archie

This needs to be sorted out between care services and the Army, there should be a safeguarding policy.

Going back to basics the two things you could always rely on in the forces was a roof over your head and feeding, I know these have been diluted over the years, but the principle still stands and the lad should not be left out on his ear.

I don't know how the AAC works, does it shut down completely for block leave or does it retain staff on camp that aside from doing their duties will require feeding and accommodating. If the later there should be no problem making him brew bitch for the period schools out.

He needs to make the issue known as soon as possible.

Yes he is in foster care, long term, but if he joins the army SS no longer are obliged to facilitate his needs. His current carers are agency so need a head in a bed to earn money, SS will not pay if he is not there. No relatives at all. Friends at college is an option but summer leave etc is a long time to put someone up. Care leavers status is for 18 year olds (it was extended this year from 16) and it only applies if the leaver goes into social housing anything else and SS wash there hands and think of the money saved. There are other carers but as I said earlier it's money orientated.

Are his agency foster carers not able to give him a bed for his leave period, maybe he could contribute to his lodgings

Bit shorted sighted of the Children's Services

Most care leavers have extremely poor outcomes on leaving care, here is a lad that probably has a more settled future ahead of him, there must be a solution somewhere

Archie

@The_Snail any ideas here? Seriously.

You could always take a lodger. Not so serious.

Are his agency foster carers not able to give him a bed for his leave period, maybe he could contribute to his lodgings

Bit shorted sighted of the Children's Services

Most care leavers have extremely poor outcomes on leaving care, here is a lad that probably has a more settled future ahead of him, there must be a solution somewhere

Archie
unfortunately it's space in the house

When I was there a guy in my platoon used to stay back when we went on leave and some sort of provision was made for him, I can't remember the ins and outs but it'll get explained to the kid when he gets there.

When I was there a guy in my platoon used to stay back when we went on leave and some sort of provision was made for him, I can't remember the ins and outs but it'll get explained to the kid when he gets there.
How long ago were you there?

One option is www.workaway.info essentially you live work on a farm, for a few hours a day, food & bed included, most countries are available including UK.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
On your leave time? Stuff that. I'd rather stag on day on day off.

He's hardly going to be in a unique position.

There should be systems in place for him. The other option is to sign up for AT courses during grant periods. I did a few at JSASTC Gosport during block leave. The bonus to that is you get extra pay for field conditions (getting pissed around the Solent on a yacht during Cowes week was a real hardship!) plus it doesn't come off leave entitlement, not that leave entitlement will matter to him anyway.