help needed for claim on change of assignment

Discussion in 'Army Pay, Claims & JPA' started by magictorch, Oct 26, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

  1. Could a pay guru please help me. I recently moved from a unit in Germany to a unit in UK and have submitted a claim for the hotels, food and MMA from Birmingham to my new unit's location. Having originally been submitted on the 1st of September my clain has still not been paid. The hotels are not a problem and my claim nearly got rejected because I was claiming less for food than my FSA thought I should be claiming. The problem is the MMA. I have been told by 1 clerk that although I travelled by private car via Dover that I can claim for the notional journey from Birmingham to my new unit for a cost of £25. To me this seems small when compared to the £300 pound trooper flight costs and £50 for a hire car that it would have cost the army. The FSA however is saying that I am not entitled to claim the MMA at all.

    I have looked into JSP 752 and it seems that I am not entitled to claim GYH(O) as you loose entitlement on your last duty day at the old unit which is fair enough. As I never got a Privately Arranged Passage (PAP) authorised I can not claim for that, although you can't claim for a PAP when moving from Germany to UK anyway. If I were to move within Germany or within UK then I could claim MMA or if I were to fly back I could claim then claim from the airport to my SFA. Does anyone know if there is anywhere in the JSP that states that I can claim for at least something? I don't know if it will help but on leaving my old unit I had 3 weeks leave during which time I stayed at my sister-in-law's house prior to moving into my SFA.

    Please don't go thinking that I am only out to get as much out of the army as I can. I am just getting anoyed that it has taken this long and my claim is still being processed. Also it seems that the army is more than happy to send you to a unit in Germany where you have to have a car to get to work. However when you then bring that car back to UK they are not willing to reimburse any of the costs for what is by far the cheapest method for you to get home.

    If anyone could offer some advice I would greatly appreciate it.

  2. There is no scope under current regulations to make a "notional claim". If you travel by air via Birmingham, you can claim. If you don't, you can't.

    Yet another way to stiff squaddies who try to save the Army money!
  3. The official method of travel from Germany to UK and vice versa is by trooper. In Germany there are coaches supplied from garrisons to the airports for the trooper. However in UK there is no publicly funded transport provided. Therefore the unit would either issue you with a warrant or let you claim MMA @PCR (0.25p per mile). At my unit we help people to claim for the MMA from Birmingham airport to the unit address in UK.

    Have a look in JSP 752 under the MMA section and see if it covers change of assignment. Sounds like your FSA is being a jobsworth! Incidentally is it the OLD unit or NEW unit that is refusing this claim?
  4. Thanks for the replies. I have had a look in JSP 752 under MMA but I can't find anything. I have had to remove the MMA part of the claim and it has now been paid. In answer to your question elsie it is my new unit which has had the problem authorising it.