Help needed - Battle of Maiwand (DERR)

Discussion in 'Infantry' started by napier, Jan 10, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. napier

napier LE Moderator Reviewer

Does anyone have a print of the Peter Archer 'Battle of Maiwand' painting that I could buy? It is unavailable commercially because of a dispute between the artist and the Regiment over copyright. I am leaving my post and want to name one of the new classrooms after the battle and have a copy of the print and an account of the battle hung on the wall. Any ex-DERRs please spread the word - someone may have a copy they don't need. Thanks

2. Should it not be titled "The ******* big cluster at Maiwand"?

3. napier

True, and that's why I wanted to present a picture denoting a defeat rather than a victory. Underestimation of enemy strength and ability, misappreciation of ground, poor handling of own forces, etc. (sound familiar?). But a glorious end by the Infantry, still talked about in Afghanistan today. "History does not afford any grander or finer instance of gallantry and devotion to Queen and country than that displayed by the LXVI Regiment at the Battle of Maiwand on the XXVII (27th) July MDCCCLXXX (1880)."

4. No slur intended on the 66th Regiment of Foot or any of the lads who fought there, but my highly tuned cynicism can't ignore the long history of straw clutching in defeat, peaking as it did at Dunkirk!

5. napier

Not just a British habit, but one we have had plenty of practice at. That is why I want to name the classroom thusly - the parallels with the management of today's elective conflicts are pretty apparent.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Rameses the perhaps not quite so great started the ball rolling on that score. Still he did knock out the first peace treaty in history and it worked!

7. napier

Thanks chaps, but it's the Peter Archer picture I'm after from 1984, commissioned by 1 DERR.

8. Try the regimental museum in Salisbury at the wardrobe

9. napier

Done that, none in stock because of the issue over copyright. Thankfully I have had a result on Facebook, so all sorted, thanks.

10. drop me an email - if I can get into where a load of my kit is stored I'll open up my framed print and scan it for you at high resolution. The more unauthorized scans that float about the better! i think its the beneficiaries of the artists will who are being stupid