HELP! Need Student Nurse Information

McKaza

Swinger
Since the Army website has changed, the information about becoming a student nurse has become vague. I've searched around on the British Army website and Google as well as all the threads on ARRSE and the Student Room, but they don't really answer my questions and are mostly from 2003.

I know QARANC recruit four times a year, which months are they?

Does a student nurse application take six or nine months on avarage? Or less?

Is the medical done separately from student nurse selection?

Is it still as competitive to become a student nurse as it used to be in the past? You know... When nurses weren't as low in numbers as they are now.

I already have a place at Birmingham City for adult nursing. Will the army let me use this place when becoming a student nurse? Or, will they disregard my place and make me get a place (again) through the Army application process?

Nursing bursary or student nurse?

Carter2019

Swinger
Hi, I’m currently in the process of applying for the student nurse role but not starting basic training until around September next year(as I’ve been told at the moment as I need to finish my final year of college first) so I can’t answer how long it’d take normally, I was just told to apply early. I’m not sure how competitive it is anymore but when I went for my briefing at my local ACC they said they hadn’t had a student nurse come through them for a long time and that people are generally out off by the length of time it takes (with training, uni and the 4 years service too).

To be honest I’d suggest ringing your local careers office and if there isn’t anyone there who knows much about nursing or can’t answer your questions, then you could always try calling the national recruiting centre?

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

McKaza

Swinger
Hi, I’m currently in the process of applying for the student nurse role but not starting basic training until around September next year(as I’ve been told at the moment as I need to finish my final year of college first) so I can’t answer how long it’d take normally, I was just told to apply early. I’m not sure how competitive it is anymore but when I went for my briefing at my local ACC they said they hadn’t had a student nurse come through them for a long time and that people are generally out off by the length of time it takes (with training, uni and the 4 years service too).

To be honest I’d suggest ringing your local careers office and if there isn’t anyone there who knows much about nursing or can’t answer your questions, then you could always try calling the national recruiting centre?

Good luck!

Thanks Carter2019.

You sound like you're further down in the process than myself. How long did it take for the Army to invite you to the interview and selection for student nurse? I'm really keen to get in :') Good luck with college btw!

Carter2019

Swinger
Hi again McKaza, sorry for the late reply!

It took 2 days since submitting my application online to receive a phone call in regards to my Briefing/Interview. My interview was 2 weeks after the phone call but only because I was unavailable with the days they first said, they wanted me to attend sooner. My interview was late June and in late July(after all the paperwork in between was filled in and sent off) I received a phone call about my selection being booked and received a date on the portal that day. Its been booked for roughly 3 months in advance from that phone call but from what I have heard this is a normal time frame (for it to be booked around 3 months in advance). Fingers crossed the process is as smooth for you, it might even be a bit quicker since they aren't rushing my application.

Thank you by the way Ready for my final year before this journey!

Good luck to you too!

Good luck!

Hi, I’m currently in the same situation as you I’m going into my last year at sixth form so will properly be joining the same time as you hoping to be a student nurse. I’m just wondering when are you going to the assessment centre? I’m currently going to the assessment centre next week it’s nice to know someone else also applying to be a nurse.

Carter2019

Swinger
Hi, I’m currently in the same situation as you I’m going into my last year at sixth form so will properly be joining the same time as you hoping to be a student nurse. I’m just wondering when are you going to the assessment centre? I’m currently going to the assessment centre next week it’s nice to know someone else also applying to be a nurse.
Hi, my assessment centre is late October so unfortunately not the same one but we could quite possibly be the same intake for phase one though due to both finishing year 13 in June! Or even the same uni intake!

Carter2019

Swinger
Have you had a familiarisation visit yet with the QARANC?

Yeh you will have to let me know how everything goes and when your phase one is. No I havnt had a familiarisation visit yet with QARANC, from what I know although I’m sure it is after the assessment centre if I pass before phase 1. I was told after the assessment centre before training I will have to go in front of QARANC board of nurses at Sandhurst and on a two day training course, what other information have you been giving as it is quite vague.

Carter2019

Swinger
Yeah you’re right everything is pretty vague. I have my familiarisation visit booked in for December and then yeah was told after that the next thing would be going in front of the nursing board at Sandhurst. Good luck at the assessment centre too!

Carter2019

Swinger
Carter2019 and hfjgudjfb_7,

does the QARANC visit last 1 or 2 days? Capita have confused me :\\\')
Hi, I think it’s one day but I’m not sure as I haven’t been given many details about this yet just a single date. It could be 2 days though as my assessment centre date on the portal is only one day but it obviously lasts longer. What info have they given you?

I have just got back from the assessment centre and passed it is a two day assessment. I have now been told that to be a nurse I have to go in front of a board of nurses which I was told is tough and competitive and they only choose want the best since they basically are giving you a free degree and a student nurse is not a priority role but a nurse already qualified is. So therefore because of this I enjoyed the assessment centre so much and want to join as soon as possible so I have considered leaving sixth form to be a dental nurse which would not require going in front of the board and I could join straight away as you do ure training then qualifications in phase 2 trade 2. Tbh just as good as a nurse as it is similar money and not as hard. If you have any questions about the assessment centre I am happy to answer them.

Carter2019

Swinger
Well done on passing assessment! That’s so great. I know that the nursing board was hard but hearing you say how hard you’ve been told it is it’s making me rethink whether it’s worth it (I’m already at a disadvantage as haven’t been able to get any experience unfortunately) especially if it’s not a priority role as you say. The dental nurse option was also mentioned to me when I went for my briefing, I thought the pay was around a difference of £10,000 when qualified in both? I could have just misread it though. Good luck with whichever you choose, it’s all about what works best for you!

Thankyou, I loved selection so much I just want to join straight away and yeh it is around 10,000 difference at first when qualified but I would qualify quicker as a dental nurse and it is still a lot of money to have at 18. In the time I would be at uni as a nurse I would have chance to progress even more and move up the ranks as a dental nurse to then therefore in time earn around the same. I got told that once I was qualified as a dental nurse they may be cutting back on the dental core so therefore they would train me as a nurse anyway without a levels and having to go to the board anyway. I think the sooner I join start getting experience and moving up the ranks the better.

McKaza

Swinger
Hi, I think it’s one day but I’m not sure as I haven’t been given many details about this yet just a single date. It could be 2 days though as my assessment centre date on the portal is only one day but it obviously lasts longer. What info have they given you?

Hey, been a bit busy, weren't ignoring you:) I've been told that I'm going to the assessment centre on 14/09/2019 and then the insight day at the end of October. I've pretty much been given the standard forms they send to everyone. I'm so glad I made this thread cause I've learned a lot form you guys! CAPITA haven't specified if the visit is a day or two, they don't seem too sure themselves... So I'm in the same boat with that one.

Hi quick update, I have decided to stick at it and go for the student nurse not the dental nurse. I have passed assessment centre and was told I would get a date for the board. Instead on my portal although I have been booked into a ‘officer familiarisation day for QARUNC’ in December so same as you then! I’m quite confused by it tho as there is no details as of yet, it is just one day. Then I imagine after the visit in December we would maybe go to the board?

McKaza

Swinger
Hi quick update, I have decided to stick at it and go for the student nurse not the dental nurse. I have passed assessment centre and was told I would get a date for the board. Instead on my portal although I have been booked into a ‘officer familiarisation day for QARUNC’ in December so same as you then! I’m quite confused by it tho as there is no details as of yet, it is just one day. Then I imagine after the visit in December we would maybe go to the board?
Fingers crossed for you! I've not been told about anything in detail beyond assessment. I've been booked onto an officer familiarisation day for QARUNC too but that's about it... My visit is in October. I think you've hit the nail on the head with board after the visit. How did you find the cognitive tests? Were they easier or harder than the screeners? Only asking cause I'm a bit slow at maths as I haven't practiced since GCSE.

Good look for your assessment , on the cognitive test for being a student nurse I needed 55 and I got 60 which they said they would expect higher but it doesn’t matter since I passed. I found it hard and so did everyone else at my assessment centre because I am bad at maths to but as long as you try you’re best, on some I just clicked some random answers that were problerley wrong just because it’s all about speed, there was lots of long division on mine to. But the night you get there the staff do a presentation on the cognitive test and then when you do the actual one the day after you have to pass the practice questions before you can carry on with it

McKaza

Swinger
Good look for your assessment , on the cognitive test for being a student nurse I needed 55 and I got 60 which they said they would expect higher but it doesn’t matter since I passed. I found it hard and so did everyone else at my assessment centre because I am bad at maths to but as long as you try you’re best, on some I just clicked some random answers that were problerley wrong just because it’s all about speed, there was lots of long division on mine to. But the night you get there the staff do a presentation on the cognitive test and then when you do the actual one the day after you have to pass the practice questions before you can carry on with it
Well done on your score! I thought that the maximum amount of points allocated on the test was 60 as that's what my case support manager told me:/ Thank you for the advice, puts my head at rest a bit! You've got the most difficult bit behind you :)

Latest Threads