Help! My snake is growing bigger!!

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by Placebo, Jun 27, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. About a year ago, I ran into a a small snake in my garden. Nothing remarkable. The thing could have stood about five inches high from the grass if it had tried.

In the ensuing months, I have seen the snake on several occassions. I am pretty sure it is the same one because... well... it looks "familiar."

Mrs Placebo has also attested to the fact that 'our snake' is still out there.

Here is my dilemma.

Said snake has not caused me any problems at all. We see it on a very regular basis- maybe once or twice a week- and he seems to be doing splendid.

My only problem is: he is now about six feet long and still living in our back yard. Last time I saw "Brownie" (that is what we call him) he looked at me and very calmly just slithered away like he owned the place.

Should I go ahead and off it just to be on the safe side?

I kinda like the bastard.
  2. Put it in a tank and feed it on small animals and children.
  3. rampant

rampant LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Have you identified what species yon wee serpent is?

Have you any photos of the beastie?

If no to the first and yes to the second, post piccies and locstat and lets have a go at identifying said slithery thing.

And it better not be yer neighbour's c*ck.........

or yours for that matter.... :x
  4. Depends which country you live in. A mate of mine here had this in his back garden:

(Note HK's finest armed with a broom).

A 5 meter Burmese Python is NOT a good playmate in your garden.
  5. rampant

Purdy, a neighbour of ours killed a python beneath my bedroom window of our bungalow in Abuja when I was a little un.

Mostly we had to look out for Mambas, Cobras, Puff Adders and Carpet Vipers. Fangtastic :D
  6. Gremlin

Gremlin LE Good Egg (charities)

Time to reread Rikki-Tikki-Tavi !
  7. is this a metaphor for something else? :p
  8. rampant

9. Of course we have no idea of your location but if you are in the UK you are probably quite safe. The only poisonous snake found in the UK is the adder (vipera berus berus) and they are fairly rare. They are dark, rarely go longer than 18-20 inches and heavy for their length.

If you are at or near the US Sub Base in Kings Bay, Georgia for some reason it could be quite different. A few years ago I met a couple at a friends house. They had just come from Kings Bay where poisonous snakes are plentiful. They lived just off base and they would not let their small children play in the back yard or on the swingset unless the mother was with them carrying a .38 loaded with snakeshot. (Had to be the mom most of the time as dad was on a boomer deployed) I know many here think us septics are gun mad but in 3 years she killed 23 snakes in the backyard and 17 proved to be poisonous. She apparently knocked off a few unsuspecting kingsnakes which look similar (red on yellow kill a fellow, red on black pat it's back).

My guess is that your neighborhood serpent is harmless and will help control local mice and other small vermin.
  10. Thanks Dave. I appreciate your words of advice. BTW, I am in upstate NY. Been here a couple years. Still trying to come in terms with the wildlife.
  11. rampant

Possibly one of these chappies, but cannot say for certain. If you stuck some piccies up it could help:

or it could be a garter snake:

or indeed one of these

this link explains more regards snakes in your region

If you want to know for certain the chaps on this herpetology forum may be of assistance:
  12. That is Brownie!

That is what is lurking in the back yard.

After reading the profile, I won't have to kill him.

Attached Files:

13. rampant

Interesting as that subspecies is a West Coast Variety, unless it's a pet that has escaped, going by the colouration then it might be an Eastern Ribbon Snake then, pretty little things.

A welcome addition to your garden, as Dave said; leave him be to come and go, don't handle him they will still nip, but it's not harmful, something to admire.

Glad to help.

*edited to change must to might, 'cos I can't be certain without photos.
  14. BTW, sprinkling sulphur around the perimeter of your garden is a good way to keep snakes out.
  15. good call! something for both myself and T49 junior to enjoy, I feel