help my laptop fails to work anymore

Discussion in 'Gaming and Software' started by sharkie, Oct 21, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. i have an advent laptop, with a ram upgrade of 2gb, and a new 130gb hard drive (as oppose to the standard 30gb
    i used to have a problem where as on booting up it failed to find the operating system, this was solved by removal, tapping the hdd and re starting. but now it starts boots up as soon as the windows xp logo appears, it come up with a blue death screen and says something along the lines of unmountable boot volume. then it restarts and does the same thing again and again....
    i dont have any recovery discs. the files on the drive are all backed on on my external hdd.
    help please.
  2. If this was a new HDD, i'd send it back for a replacement. If you have to tap it to work, the heads inside could be sticking.
  3. it wasnt a brand new hdd, it was a recon one.
    any thing else i can try?
  4. 3.The basic input/output system (BIOS) settings are configured to force the faster UDMA modes.

Check the BIOS
  5. You really need a copy of windows xp cd, borrow one if you have not got one but it must be for the same edition as is on your pc. Once you have it, set your bios to boot from cd and when it boots up, repair windows. If that doesn't work, use the chkdsk command to check the physical intergrity of your disk by typing chkdsk C: at the command prompt. If you have trouble doing this, google the chkdsk command for all the different switches. Hope that helps