Help me pick a new push bike

Discussion in 'Sports, Adventure Training and Events' started by Hexitele, May 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Folks,

I'm not exactly a gods gift to cycling but I've recently rediscovered two wheels in an effort to save money and it seems I actually quite like it, so...

I need a new push bike. It's going to get me to and from work (12 mile round trip) with a third of the journey being through fields and the rest being on a road. I don't need fancy suspension as I have no intention of riding it up Snowdon any time soon, I would like it to be fairly decent though.

I'd happily pay up to £400 for a new one and about half that for pre-owned. I just don't know whats good and whats not.

Lastly I'm 6'2'' and about 14stone. Is there a particular size I should be getting?

Cheers in advance for any help I receive in due course...
  2. Get some bolt cutters and pop down to the railings in the local park. You'll get one free there.
    • Like Like x 2
  3. The choice is ******* huge but as it's for the commute and in all weathers you want something that will take guards and a rack that is cheap I am not going to say "get a road bike" or "get X hybrid"

Best buy right now in a first time commuter is this on sale in Halfords believe it or not despite the fact that the staff in Halfords are the platoon mong in waiting. SRAM drive train, cable operated discs that work in all weathers along with all the eyes to take guards and a rack. It's essentialy a MTB converted for road use so it will stand all manner of abuse. Avoid the cheaper version of the same bike or the "limited addition" one in blue as they are below the standard I would accept for a bike I trust, you want that exact model in that exact spec.

You need the 20" version.
  4. I'm about the same height as you and I've got a Specialized Cirrus for my commuting bike and I can't fault it. After getting some touring wheels and grippy tyres, it doubles up as a mountain bike for gentler tracks.
  5. Here you go .........

• Like Like x 3
  6. I wouldn't recommend any Halfords bikes.
  7. Go for something with an oversized alloy frame or you're going to get flex. Stand over the frame and make sure you've got at least a fist width of clearance. For a road bike, at least a handful of seatpin sticking out, 2 for a mountain bike. Trek is a brand worth looking at. £300 is a good starting point for something that won't let you down.
  8. No you dont need an oversized alloy frame to avoid flex, I would in fact say avoid oversized ally as it beats the shit out of the rider.

Standover height is not one fists distance minimum, if you are riding a traditional steel road bike then yes that may be the case but most ally frames have what is called compact geometry that offers much much more standover like a mountain bike.

If you only have fists distance standover height on a most ally bikes these days you are on a frame about 2 sizes too big that will also be far to long and stretched out for you.

I would also avoid Trek as the £300 price point for Trek bikes is utter crap for the money.
  9. You don't know the exact full range they sell.

Yes there are cheap crap ones aimed at kids but they sell some very good value commuters and MTB in the Carrera range and they also sell Boardman bikes which go all the way up to several thousand pound a pop carbon team issue replicas.

The Subways a good buy.
  10. Get yourself to your nearest Evans Cycles. The guys in there know their shit, and have a good selection of decent bikes to suit your budget.

Don't buy a bike from Halfords. They're mostly gash.

Evans Cycles | Store Locator | Online Bike Shop
  11. Evans are just as bad/patchy as Halfords, whats makes it worse is that they pretend to be experts.

You won't match the spec of that Subway even for £400 in Evans.

So wind your neck in.
  12. Who the **** are you telling to "wind your neck in" to?! You gobshite.

The fella asked my opinion, I gave it.

I've always used Evans (after looking at Halfords) and I've never regretted it.

13. PM sent
  14. I am a keen cyclist. I ride the Scott CR1 pro for summer, and an Italian import for a winter hack. I also service bikes for friends. I have had several bikes, including my share of both, boardman and carrera, both have cheap component parts, hence the price you pay. It is counter productive to purchase a cheap end bike when you ask it to function in all seasons. Increase your budget slightly and buy a Cube brand. You will get loads of bike for your money to Prescision German engineering.

I would also recommend have a proper fit for the bike. Halfords and Evans do not offer a reliable fitting service. Cycle zone have full up to date fitting techniques to build/size it to you, preventing injury after prolonged use.
  15. Perhaps you've never been 6' 4"... as for sizing, note the use of 'at least' - this will prevent some saturday boy selling you what's in stock. Oversized tubes reduce lateral flex and therefore unwanted upshifts when climbing out of the saddle, but make little difference to vertical compliance - comfort is down to tyre choice more than anything else. Yes top tube length is an issue so it's always advisable to test ride as many as possible - not everyone is in the 95th percentile... As for Trek - I sold hundreds and never had a frame return.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.