Help me pick a charity

Discussion in 'Charities and Welfare' started by Slim_Chances, Aug 28, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. OK, long-time occasional lurker and first time poster.

I help organise a vintage dancehall night, the Swingaroo Dancehall, which is basically about two things: good old fashioned music and cute girls in pretty dresses. We've got a night coming up on 5th November and we decided 'Remember Remember' ought to be about remembering the guys who fought during the era our music came from.

So, we persuaded the acts who're appearing that night to do it for expenses and we're a. bunging the whole door take to charity after those expenses and paying the two guys we actually employ and b. putting out donation buckets for our punters. Should be a few hundred quid for charity. Now, we know and like the local Help For Heroes bloke, and he's got a load of banners and buckets and other useful stuff for shaking the loose change out of the punters.

However, the one guy I knew well who fought during the period we cover, my granddad, died in 2001 and while my other, surviving grandparents had a lot going on in that period there really isn't any need for charity for the stuff they were doing in that period*.

What I'd like is a recommendation or two to follow up as regards charities who're doing good work for the old lads who did what they had to to keep this country fascist-free back when. Recommendations from the older lads on here especially welcome.

*variously, serving ale to the thirsty folks of manchester, trying to persuade the recruiters of that locality they weren't in a reserved occupation and being by day a munitions girl and by night a terror to the locally stationed GIs.
  2. Reading that back, I realise I should add I'm after a charity who'll take a share of the donation, the idea being that we skew the benefit toward the older lads, since H4H does everyone from back when to the present day.
  3. I give eff all to H4H now. All my hard earned cash and 20 shiney pees go to Holidays4Heroes - that actually makes a difference.
  4. What do they do for the older lads? Could you PM me your reasons for not being keen on H4H? As I say, the local H4H guy is a nice bloke and has a lot of help to offer. If there's a good reason to not go there I'll replace the help with my own efforts and direct the money elsewhere
  5. That's a bit of a sweeping statement. One is a Registered Charity, the other isn't. How do you come to that conclusion, based on what facts?
  6. Combat Stress
  7. udipur

udipur LE Book Reviewer

Why not give some to Veterans Aid.

These are the guys who deal with the boys and girls that have been forgotten so yes, their service history goes back a way.
  8. Not the first time I've seen anti-H4H sentiment on these pages.
    Would anyone care to enlighten me as to why?
    I haven't got an axe to grind, I'm just intrigued...
  9. I believe it stems from the widely held belief that Help For Heroes are taking money away from the smaller charities and the fact that they only support people who've been injured in Iraq and Afghanistan and don't offer any support for people who've left the forces.

There have also been posts on here regarding the founders of Help For Heroes being paid very generous wages.

10. Not only that, the reason I no longer give to H4H is they provide things the government should provide, they used funds intended for soldiers and families and used them to provide facilities which are the responsibility of the MOD, which helped hide the closure of military hospitals and years of under investment.
  11. One of the sad facts of life on ARRSE is that Mr and Mrs Parry and their OBE’s are protested species. Woe betide anyone mentioning the fact that each are paid handsomely, have a wide range of perks and received both OBE’s from a grateful MOD for saving them the task of funding proper medical facilities to treat serving injured Soldiers. The reality is that they are a very media savvy pair who never tell those publishing the endless articles about them that they are highly paid and that their OBE’s were given, not for voluntary charity work, but for paid MOD fund raising. They are the “chuggers” of service charities. If you wish to support service charities give to one of the Benevolent Funds or to Sandes Soldiers Homes . Olen
  12. They're very definitely under consideration -

As are these guys, as I think - I might be wrong, this is based on a half-remembered news article I read a couple of years ago - one of the local organisers is a chap my dad knows from way back.

I've bookmarked their sites and we'll have a think about it. Any insights that'll help welcome, of course.

While I don't have a particular brief for anyone involved, based on what I've read they cover their operating costs and, yes, staff salaries by sales of merchandise and their trading company activities, which seems fairly plausible and not a bad way of doing things. And they also mention a lot of support going to other charities through them. I suspect that the criticism of 'taking money away' from other charities might be unfair - charitable donation isn't a zero-sum game and it certainly looks like what they're doing is shaking loose more money than would otherwise have been given. Might be wrong about that, but that impression is certainly coming across to me.

The answer to that isn't to stop giving, though. Sure, I'd like to see my tax money spent more sensibly than it is being but the answer isn't to stop supporting the good stuff, it's to get on to the politicians who're doing the spending and remind them that they're democratically accountable. The answer to a political problem is to get involved in politics, even if only at the level of turning up at your MP's regular surgery and pointing out that he ought to be voting for better spending. Or writing to him, or sending him an email. I'll stop the sermonising there, like, but think on, eh?
  13. I haven't stopped giving, I've just stopped donating to that particular charity and given elsewhere. I'm also not suggesting they don't have good intentions.
  14. Perhaps this is too obvious........ but an event in November, titled remember remember, could be ideal for The Royal British Legion.
  15. You could also consider SSAFA - The Soldiers Sailors Airmen and Families Association - supporting those who serve, those who used to serve and the families of both - his includes widowers and widowers. SSAFA is a National Charity but has Branches in each region, manned by volunteers who will visit those in need and raise the funds to meet that need. SSAFA work with other Benevolent funds to raise the necessary cash and are known and trusted by both military and civilian Trusts to diperse the funds where needed. The local Branches need to raise enough locally to meet their running costs so you could make a donation and know that it will be spent within your community.