Help me make a hippy album.

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by Speedy, Oct 31, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I was listening to some old vynal the other day and found I had some old 45's. I had Matthews Southern Comforts' 'Woodstock' and Jefferson Airplanes' 'White Rabbit'. I have now decided to knock together a decent 60's alternative\hippy CD. Any suggestions for good tracks to add?

2. Quinn the Eskimo?

3. 70's, naff very, very naff.

'When Quinn the eskimo gets here, everybodys gonna jump for joy'. What the hells that all about?

4. 70's - surely a decade out my friend. Hippydome revolves round the summer of love - 1967 I think. Therefore think:

Jimi Hendrix - Voodoo Chile
    Beatles - Sgt Peppers Band era - say A Day In The Life or Lucy in the sky with diamonds
    Hello I love you by the Doors

Actually, you may mock but quite a good era for music - far preferable to boy/girl bands, glam rock, wake me up before you go-go kind of stuff for me.

8) 8) 8)

5. The Byrds - 8 Miles High
    Cream - White Room
    Dylan - All Along the Watchtower (The Hendrix version, obviously, Dylan's is wank 8) )
    Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

6. Born to be Wild - Steppenwolf
    Freebird - Lynyrd Skynyrd
    (going to to) San Francisco - ??

7. Try listening Here for my choice

8. The Byrds, good call <adds to list>

9. maninblack

maninblack LE Book Reviewer

Fairport Convention...Si Tu Doi Partir (French language version of Dylan's "If your gotta go.")
    Creedence Cleerwater Revival....Who'll stop The Rain
    Mamas & The Papa....California Dreamin'
    Rolling Stones....Paint It Black

10. I've just had a quick google and came up with the top seller (in the UK at least) for 1967, and surely a contender:

All you need is love - The Beatles

plus some more -

Feelin Groovy - S&G
    Mellow Yellow - Donovan

11. Pink Floyd's 'Arnold Layne' or 'See Emily Play' would be worth including.

12. Excellent!

13. A man from my era - can give you plenty, but depends on how "hippy" you want to be - Jefferson airplane - someone to love, universal soldier - donovan, whiter shade of pale - procul harum (no i dont know what the lyrics mean either) see emily play - pink floyd, deboran,deborah - tyrannosaurus rex (before marc bolan found volts and became a complete cnut), white room - cream (come to that anything by cream), positively 4th street - bob dylan, the night they drove old dixie down - joan baez - theres thousands of then - have a dig thru the doors/jethro tull/pink floyd/santana - turn on - tune in - drop out

14. I think a Floyd rule should be that they should only be Syd Barratt era songs. See Emily Play is a personal fave of mine.

15. OldSnowy

OldSnowy LE Moderator Book Reviewer

Got to have some Incredible String Band - anything from 5,000 Spirits, or The Hangman's Beautiful Daughter. Hiuppy nonsense at its finest.