Help me buy a netbook.

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by ExJet, Aug 3, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I want a tiny laptop to take with me to work/uni. I have a macbook pro, but I want someting cheap and portable with windows on it. I want it to browse the web, and run basic microsoft office stuff. I would also really like to be able to play some old school windows based games on it too (Tombraider, Quake, Command and Conquer etc)

I had a look on ebay, and a lot of stuff on there is pretty cheap, but i really dont know what im looking at, but i figured some of you guys are a bit more tech savvy than me. Used and refurbished netbooks are good, I dont want to drop a load of money on it, and really dont expect anything ultra up to date performance wise.

Ideas?

2. Yes. Boot your Mac up in Windows. Now fuck off out of the NAAFI.

3. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

I took a Samsung because of the battery life and it had by far the best keyboard, £250 quid'ish.
    Don't get your hopes up for games, the cheap price is at the expense of performance for anything other than email, browsing and Office stuff.

4. I dont want to carry my MBP with me to work. Something tiny and portable like a netbook is better.

Ok I admit it, It would also be nice to have a smaller computer for web "browsing" that the wife doesn't know about.

5. Brilliant, Thanks. Ill have a look about for a refurb/secondhand one of thems.

What is the consensus on Windows 7? will i be able to put the old nostalgia games onto that? C&C makes train commutes almost bearable.

6. Ah. We're getting down to the nitty gritty now. Post a pic of your wife so I can get a better idea of how to handle her . . . er, your query. Topless would be nice. Thanks in advance.

7. Visit the W7 Forums for any previous and current up to date compatibility issues would be a recommendation..

8. I got my Samsung N150plus off ebay and max'd up the memory to 2gb. Was only 9months old, seller had also bought and installed MS 2010 and Norton 360. All original packing, receipts plus carry case. Seller was a uni student who upgraded to ipad or something. She originally paid just shy of £400 all in... Cost me £140 plus a little bit more for the mem. Cracking notebook, perfect for what I need. Scan ebay - there are some bargains out there.

Edited to add: built in wireless & bluetooth, 3 usb's (one powered), fast booting, battery lasts ages - up to 10 hrs in some cases. Processor is 1.6ghz intel Atom so not really up to much gaming.

9. See what Argos are doing. I bought a Toshiba Netbook for £148 earlier this year. Win7 basic, 1.66Ghz Atom processor, 1 GB RAM, 250GB HDD. Very lightweight and a good bright, sharp screen. Only downside is battery life, even on economy settings is not much more than an hour.

EDIT: ...And loads of bloatware that you will probably want to delete!

10. I've an idea for you, this is the Naafi bar so fuck off and die mongtard fucknugget

11. I have a netbook. 'tis a Toshiba NB250.

Now fuck off out of here you filthy mongtard cunt.

12. Zu Befehl! What he said.