Help, IT Guru advice required

Discussion in 'Royal Signals' started by ironrations, Feb 18, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Right, I'm in the block on t'internet at Blandford, however for a while I've not been able to log onto MSN hotmail or messenger. Everything else works fine but as soon as I enter my password it throws a wobbler and goes to the IE error webpage, it did work ok and the only thing thats changed is my Norton anti-virus has run out.

Help

2. maguire

maguire LE Book Reviewer

try using the Firefox web browser.

3. Have you turned off your computer and re-started it? That not work, well re-install windows and call back later.. oh I'm not on a helpdesk.

Well try it for loading hotmail, don't think it has much bearing on messenger itself. Try re-installing messenger, just download another copy off msn and install - or use an alternative such as trillian or the armynet web based application - don't know if it's much good though.

4. Loaded firefox and it died! So Ive removed norton and its all happy now, works fine, any suggestions for free antivirus etc?

5. try grisoft's AVG AVG

6. It's not Free, but NOD32 is the best available.

TTFN

BFG

7. Much obliged guys.

8. AVG Free is free - d.load the good stuff and be sure to select Personal (i.e. Non Business). Get Zone Alarm as your firewall (again - Personal not Business) and you'll be virus free sine die.

9. FFS.

put your hand in your pocket and BUY some protection.

you only get what you pay for - if something is free it must be funded somehow - usually spyware or adware.

get yourself a reputable antivirus and firewall suite.

tight git.

Rincewind

10. As soon as your Anti-virus runs out MSN messenger will not let you in!! This happened to me the other week, renewed mine and everthing works fine now try PANDA

11. msr

msr LE

12. AVAST- my personal choice is funded by its professional suite and its good.

13. Rincewind,

Get real. There are plenty of antivirus, spyware and adware programs out there that are a lot better than the likes of Norton and McAfee. Why pay for a service when you don't recieve the protection you require?

For the record I use AVG, SpyBlaster and AdAware and have had a smooth running computer for the past two years, which is more than can be said for when I was paying for protection.

14. Panda is very good stuff