Help, IT Guru advice required

Right, I'm in the block on t'internet at Blandford, however for a while I've not been able to log onto MSN hotmail or messenger. Everything else works fine but as soon as I enter my password it throws a wobbler and goes to the IE error webpage, it did work ok and the only thing thats changed is my Norton anti-virus has run out.

Help

maguire

LE
Book Reviewer
try using the Firefox web browser.

maguire said:
try using the Firefox web browser.
Have you turned off your computer and re-started it? That not work, well re-install windows and call back later.. oh I'm not on a helpdesk.

Well try it for loading hotmail, don't think it has much bearing on messenger itself. Try re-installing messenger, just download another copy off msn and install - or use an alternative such as trillian or the armynet web based application - don't know if it's much good though.

Loaded firefox and it died! So Ive removed norton and its all happy now, works fine, any suggestions for free antivirus etc?

AVG Free is free - d.load the good stuff and be sure to select Personal (i.e. Non Business). Get Zone Alarm as your firewall (again - Personal not Business) and you'll be virus free sine die.

FFS.

put your hand in your pocket and BUY some protection.

you only get what you pay for - if something is free it must be funded somehow - usually spyware or adware.

get yourself a reputable antivirus and firewall suite.

tight git.

Rincewind

ironrations said:
Right, I'm in the block on t'internet at Blandford, however for a while I've not been able to log onto MSN hotmail or messenger. Everything else works fine but as soon as I enter my password it throws a wobbler and goes to the IE error webpage, it did work ok and the only thing thats changed is my Norton anti-virus has run out.

Help
As soon as your Anti-virus runs out MSN messenger will not let you in!! This happened to me the other week, renewed mine and everthing works fine now try PANDA

Rincewind said:
FFS.

put your hand in your pocket and BUY some protection.

you only get what you pay for - if something is free it must be funded somehow - usually spyware or adware.

get yourself a reputable antivirus and firewall suite.

tight git.

Rincewind
AVAST- my personal choice is funded by its professional suite and its good.

Rincewind,

Get real. There are plenty of antivirus, spyware and adware programs out there that are a lot better than the likes of Norton and McAfee. Why pay for a service when you don't recieve the protection you require?

For the record I use AVG, SpyBlaster and AdAware and have had a smooth running computer for the past two years, which is more than can be said for when I was paying for protection.

I swear 100% by Panda Platinum Internet Security 2006, which is a combined Anti-Virus, Firewall and Spam Filter. Yes, you have got to pay for the daily updates, but it is absolutely spot-on. It has the ability to recognise a virus which has not even been classified as a virus, purely on the file content or behaviour (Tru-Prevent Technology).

you can download the full version from the website - the only thing you don't get is the password to allow you to update the definitions. Surely, the one peice of software you should not begrudge paying for is your Anti-Virus software??

As BFG9000 says, Nod32 also comes highly recommended.

Stay away from anything by Symantec (Norton) - it does nothing other than slow your system to a crawl! Zone Alarm has also been known to interfere with Anti-Virus software, and is just a pain in the arrse.

Ad-aware is a good way of removing spyware from your pc - but Panda is a better way of stopping getting there in the first place :D

Ghostie

Ghost_Rider said:
I swear 100% by Panda Platinum Internet Security 2006, which is a combined Anti-Virus, Firewall and Spam Filter. Yes, you have got to pay for the daily updates, but it is absolutely spot-on. It has the ability to recognise a virus which has not even been classified as a virus, purely on the file content or behaviour (Tru-Prevent Technology).

you can download the full version from the website - the only thing you don't get is the password to allow you to update the definitions. Surely, the one peice of software you should not begrudge paying for is your Anti-Virus software??

Stay away from anything by Symantec (Norton) - it does nothing other than slow your system to a crawl! Zone Alarm has also been known to interfere with Anti-Virus software, and is just a pain in the arrse.

Ad-aware is a good way of removing spyware from your pc - but Panda is a better way of stopping getting there in the first place :D

Ghostie
Specially when it comes pre paid eh Ghostie!! :p

timebandit said:
Ghost_Rider said:

Ghostie
Specially when it comes pre paid eh Ghostie!! :p
Dunno what you mean. Anyone can get Panda for free - its the definition updates you have got to pay for :?

Ghostie