Help in regards with sending a mail to a BFPO address...

Discussion in 'Living Overseas' started by moonsinger, Jun 5, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello. I'm a first time member and I came here because I need some help in regards with mailing a letter to my soldier. I don't know if this is the right section for this, but I am currently overseas so I am hoping it is. Here goes:

(First of all, yes I have met him personally. He is my boyfriend. He is not a scammer. I am asking this question here because he is currently on a military exercise and his phone is in London for repair and I can't call his office because it's not really an emergency. I just want to send him a love letter to make him feel better... I hope someone can help me.)

I am not in the UK right now and I'm staying in Bahrain because of my work. I never send a mail on a BFPO before while I'm out of the country, so I am a little confused. Anyways, my soldier is in Germany and the address he gave me says "Paderborn, Germany, BFPO 22" at the end. It was too late when I realised that there is no post code/zip code. I tried sending a mail the other day but the post office is asking me for a post code/zip code, and I don't know if I should provide one. My friend here says that I should add London, UK at the end of the address but wouldn't that direct the letter to the UK instead of Germany? I went to the site and they have a list of post codes for BFPO (for BFPO 22 it's BF1 0AF) I don't know if I should use that or should I use Paderborn's post code, or should I not provide any post code at all?

I know it's a bit hard to understand, but I hope someone can help me.

Thanks loads!
  2. Brotherton Lad

Brotherton Lad LE Reviewer

I used to do this:

Name, rank, number,
    BFPO 22
    BFPO London

That gets your letter from Bahrain to London and into the BFPO system.
  3. Number, Rank, Name,
    BFPO 22,
    BF1 0AF,
    United Kingdom

PS: Soldier in Germany, mobile phone in London for repair?

4. If its a UK contract phone and in for repair why not ?
  5. He bought the phone in London and when he got to Germany, the network messed up his phone so they need to fix it in London so it could adapt to a German number. :)
  6. Thanks for the quick reply everyone. I have a follow-up question though, my soldier included his company and barracks on the address so I am wondering why is that? Darn. I wish I asked him instead of talking about nonsense stuff. :(

And I have a confession to make... I went ahead and send the letter on speed mail last Sunday and I told them that it's for Germany. Like what I've said, my soldier included his company and bks so I was all like "yeah that's probably right" I feel so stupid I am so sorry. So he shall probably not get it then? Argh.
  7. I feel something is really wrong here!

What would be needed to "adapt to a German number"? I live here and have both a UK and German mobile...Guess what?...Neither have had any requirement to be "addapted"!
  8. scaryspice

scaryspice LE Moderator

Who cares? The Op has asked a straightforward question about sending to BFPO addresses from outside the UK. In depth interrogation of every detail provided is a bit weird don't you think? Have you wandered out of the Waltenkommando forum and got lost?
    • Like Like x 1
  9. He'll get it.

BFPO ask that you don't include their address - it tells you this on the BFPO web page that you looked up. Details of the barracks are not usually necessary and, in most cases, shouldn't be included in the address. Most postal services understand BFPO but it's a good idea to include "UK" or "via UK" if you're posting from abroad, just in case, as that ensures that it starts its journey in the right place. Treat "BFPO xx" as the postcode - because that's what it is.
  10. Oh so sorry! Thought this was arrse - must have been wrong.

She asked a question and I queried a small detail that she had given in response to a previous post - I'll remember to PM you all posts in advance next time.

Maybe I should have just said that all BFPO mail used to go via Mill Hill, but hey, who cares!

...and that forum you mentioned - never been in it and wouldn't want to.......
  11. Did this get out to whoever you were sending it to? I am not currently living in the UK, but I want to send a parcel to my partner in Afghanistan. I tried to send it today, but the Post Office said I needed additional info, but when I looked up the BFPO website, it said not to add anything underneath the final BFPO address. Not sure what to do!!!
  12. Having a similar issue myself, not being in the UK for a few months and still wanting to send a package to someone in Afghanistan. Where would you put the "Via UK"? At the end or the top?? Thanks!
  13. BFPO xx is read by a machine which looks for a postcode at the bottom line of an address. Put all the details on per the BFPO website requirements, add "via UK" (in big letters) if you have doubts about the letter entering the UK mail system then repeat the BFPO xx at the bottom to help the machine.
  14. Thanks very much, that's really helpful! I'll try again tomorrow and hopefully this time it will be a success.... :)
  15. BFPO has a smartphone app which you might find useful when addressing mail - search for BFPO in the appropriate App Store - they also have a track & trace app.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)