Help in identifying old Badge

Discussion in 'Military Clothing & Boots' started by kiwiwik, Nov 7, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi All

Found this in my Grandmother's roofspace -- it belonged to her Father who was a RAF pilot first of all during WWI and then a WWII Naval First Officer.

Actually, we know quite a bit about his career itself as there's a diary he kept. One funny entry was during his time as a RAF Pilot in the Khybur Pass. Some hilarious entries, such as, "Today we bombed some tribes and then went to the Cinema"

This badge was in a box along with his RAF Regimental Cap Badge but I can't seem to place this one. A quick google search has found some very similar Rifles' Cap Badges but nothing exact.

Click for larger image.

2. Ravers

Ravers LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

3. Ravers

Your badge is probably pre WW1 so the battle honours have yet to be added.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Ravers

I was just about to post that.

Oh well, for comparison, here is a post 1927 one:

5. Brilliant, thanks very much for your help.
  6. WW1 Rifle Brigade Cap Badge.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Oh well. It was an interesting thread while it lasted.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. I beleive there are numerous different RB cap badges, minor changes during certain years and war time shotages etc.... Is yours made of metal? Looking at it I am presuming it is.
  9. The badge might have been your great granddad's Army badge. The RAF wasn't formed until 1918. Prior to this the service was the Royal Flying Corps with pilots drawn from the commissioned ranks of the Army.

The Naval equivalent was the Royal Naval Air Service.

Looks like great granddad couldn't decide on which colour uniform best suited his complexion, going through all three services.
  10. His Medal Index Card will confirm if he was Rifle Brigade, stick his details in and see what you get.
  11. Ravers

Just a thought:

When I dug out my great grandfather's service records it showed him having served as an officer in the RAF up until 1922. This came as quite a shock as no one in the family had a clue about this and we'd all been led to believe he'd been wounded at the Somme while serving as a Lt with the Queen's Regiment which was his local mob.

Turns out after the Somme, he ended up in a re-hab home for injured veterans that was run by the RAF, at some point his cap badge was changed to RAF for administrative reasons. It's probable he never even wore an RAF uniform despite being 'on their books' for 3 or 4 years.

Similar thing might have happened to your great grandfather.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Confusing... I don't know the exact details of his moving between the different forces, but as I don't know what exact regiment he was in, I cannot narrow it down.

How can one go about doing so?? Some confusion on his name too... He was from Ramelton, Donegal, and signed up to join (something) at WWI, by lying about his age. His name was Alexander Smythe (pronounced sm-eye-th) yet, apparently, he insisted on being pronounced Smith with the spelling of Smyth and some of his papers said Smyth, some Smythe, and others Smith... so narrowing it down isn't going to be too easy because some systems may say one thing and others another.