Help in finding lost pictures.

Discussion in 'Hardware - PCs, Consoles, Gadgets' started by shaka, Jan 17, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Yesterday I attended a Regt Reunion and took some photos of former mates I had not seen for many a year. I thought I had successfully downloaded from camera to my laptop, and so like the dipstick I am I deleted the pics from my camera. Today to my horror I am unable to locate the photos even though I was viewing adding names on my laptop. I have tried using normal search etc with no luck. I am told that anything is recoverable if you know how to do it. There is my problem I am as thick as mince with PC’s and could do with some help in simple easy to follow steps. Any help would be greatly appreciated, especially as I promised to email the pics to my mates.

TVM in anticipation

2. Suggestion - try taking a pic with your camera, then plug it in to your PC and see where the default folder is - that's where your pics from yesterday might be - Let us know if this works.

3. Thanks to AAGF it has not worked (you did ask me to let you know if it did)

Thanks also to L/Cpl more rant I downloaded MGM free photo but on trying to open the prog I got the following message box.

Run time error 339
    Component vbskpro2.ocx or one of its dependencies’ not correctly registered: a file is missing or invalid

I don’t have a clue what that means.

4. When you delete stuff from your camera, do you do it from the camera or from the computer?

Nobody tells you these things, but if you delete from the computer, you can lose the formatting of your memory stick - it takes the format that the computer works to, which isn't always backwards compatible with the camera. You can't then reformat it from the camera, it has to go back into the computer to be reformatted to the correct version.

Happened to me, causing the images to be stuck on the memory stick. I could view them on the camera, but they wouldn't download, either by plugging the memory stick into the computer or by plugging the camera into the computer. I used a file recovery tool (I can't remember which one) and managed to get two or three complete images and several half-images.

The tool I used may have been this one: Recuva - Undelete, Unerase, File and Disk Recovery - Free Download but it was a while ago, so I'm not sure

5. msr

msr LE

This is spectacularly shit advice and now that you have followed it, Recuva may not get the pics back as you may have overwritten them

Next time, take the card out of your camera, write protect it and then run Recuva.

msr

6. Aaaargh...

7. Thanks very much to everyone who tried to help. Recuva did the trick in recovering most of the photos, strangely for some reason not all of them but thankfully the ones I wanted most. In the best military traditions of covering cock ups I can safely say, “a lot of useful lessons have been learnt"

8. msr

msr LE

In the finest military traditions, I was of the understanding that lessons are 'identified', not necessarily learned ;)