Help Identifying WW1 Units

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by Tibbins, Sep 16, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. My Dad came across some pictures of both my Great Grandads who served during WW1. As part of the family history, he is trying to find out which unit they belonged to (he is also trying to get hold of their service records).

He thinks one is possibly Royal Artillery (first two pics) and the other is Royal Horse Artillery, but is not clear on the regiment.

Grateful if anyone who is up on the uniforms of this era can shed any light on which unit they are from. If it helps, both are from Lancashire (Chorley and Wigan).

p.s. Both survived the Great War, only for one of them to get killed as a plate-layer a few years later on an LMS Railway line.

Stanley.jpg Stanley Group.jpg Walter.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  2. She's 'homely' isn't she?

3. Indeed. That's the one who died on the rail track

4. All three photos show Gunners or Drivers of the Royal Field Artillery. Nothing more that's obvious...

5. Captain's Log Additional, they're Drivers - wearing spurs...

6. Is it RFA or RGA, but I do agree Gunners and Drivers.

7. Thanks for posts. The bloke in the third picture had a small farm for a bit, so a a driver would make sense.

Just did a wikipedia search on RGA as wasn't familaer with the term - didn't realise the RA was split in two.

8. Split into three really: Garrison, Field and Horse. One of the blokes is sporting a Saddler & Harness Maker trade badge. Horses weren't the preserve of the RHA in those days.

9. Sent you a PM Tibbins.

10. agree with above,
    I was fortunate to speak to my grandfather about his time in archangel and his photos were exactly the same as above,
    he said the leather bandoliers were always put on mostly for the photos usually a cane was added for good measure,
    but it deffo looks like driver RFA..which in those days meant riding the leading horse on the carriage and limber and not as we know a driver today.
    He was also paid an extra penny a day as ostler, he told me he held the horses whilst the firing was taking place.

11. The chappie in the middle of the front row in the group photo has a definite case of the Windsor Davies about him.

12. Have you tried looking up their Medal index Cards?

The National Archives | DocumentsOnline | Refine Browse Criteria

This is usually a good starting place.

Wouldn't be too optomistic about finding their Service Records. Quite a lot we destroyed by enemy action in WW2 but The National Archive is a mine of information once you have sussed out how to search. Also, I thinks Diaries of RA units are very hard to come across.

Good luck with your search.

13. Yes, only about 30% of the Army Records survived the fire damage in the blitz. But there may also be Pension records available and of course Medal index cards, if they served overseas. Then if they were killed, CWGC, SDGW and De Ruvigny's might throw up some more information. I've found that local newspaper archives can be a mine of information if the person had anything newsworthy in their career.

14. Thanks for the tips so far, particularaly on the Medel Index Cards, hadn't thought of that.

15. Get in touch with the Western Front Association (they have a website). They have all of the Medal Index cards and with them you aloso get the bits written on the back (when they exist) which doesn't happen with the National Archives.