Help identifying this chap.

I've been busy clearing out some old stuff today and came across a long forgotten photo.

It had been sent to my mam years ago by a step relative who thought it was my G Grandpa who served with the Leicesters and the ASC in WWI. I've done a lot of family research and in the course of this I've been doing some research into him anyway so I know that the chap in the photo isn't wearing either of those regiments' cap badges. Another possibility was my G Grandma's 1st husband who was KIA in 1916 but the chap in the photo is not wearing a Rifle Brigade cap badge either.

I've trawled some websites but have been unable to find a cap badge that looks quite like it. At the very least, finding out his regiment may be a great help towards finding out who he is. At the moment, he seems to be the family's 'unknown soldier'.

DSCF1570.jpg

DSCF1571.jpg

Any help very appreciated!

Thanks guys.

A Northumberland connection seems unlikely given that the families concerned lived in Leicester and London at the time of the war and also having gone back into my family history for generations I've not found any previous connection with that county at all.

I've done a CWGC search for both surnames and the only regiments that have popped up have been Scottish (no connection with this part of the family) or the Hampshire Regiment.

Having looked at my bed side oracle "Badges of the British Army" I can see how people thought it was the RNF, when I think it is the Royal Welsh Fusiliers

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

How about this?

View attachment 128088

Is that a deer above the lettering first letter possibly P?

Also looking at cap badge again there looks to be indentations around the outside of the body if I'm making it out correctly which doesn't seem to appear on the Northumberland badge.
How on earth do you make a deer out of that! The lanyard is interesting is this man an Assault Pioneer? Still thinks he is Welsh and in that case its a sheep!

How on earth do you make a deer out of that! The lanyard is interesting is this man an Assault Pioneer? Still thinks he is Welsh and in that case its a sheep!
Because a peculiar interest of mine is heraldry. Think along the lines of this -

deer couchant.jpg

If it's a sheep, it's had a bloody good short back and sides!

Got to admit the closest one to it is the Royal Northumberland Fusiliers (first image). The grenade flame on the Royal Fusiliers (2nd image), another possibility, is completely different, and the Royal Scots Fusiliers cap badge was only worn on a Glengarry.

PS: Just because their is no family connection with the County, doesn't mean he couldn't have served with the Royal Northumberland Fusiliers. If he was conscripted he would have had very little choice !

Attachments

Have a swatch at the RWF, its very close in outline shape to the RNF. Totally agree its neither the Royal Fusiliers or the RSF which dwarfs this English abomination

On closer look, I'm going back to the Northumberland Fusiliers. The flame pattern is much more spread out than on the Welsh Fusiliers ( just wanted to make you think there was a bit of Welsh in you!).

On closer look, I'm going back to the Northumberland Fusiliers. The flame pattern is much more spread out than on the Welsh Fusiliers ( just wanted to make you think there was a bit of Welsh in you!).
You sir are a turn coat, where is the courage in your convictions. And you are a WALT!

I've got to admit that after comparing enough pictures of fusilier cap badges to last me a lifetime, I'm veering towards the Northumberlands myself.

Edited to add:-
And I've never had any Welsh in me, ever. Not even when very drunk!

Got to admit the closest one to it is the Royal Northumberland Fusiliers (first image). The grenade flame on the Royal Fusiliers (2nd image), another possibility, is completely different, and the Royal Scots Fusiliers cap badge was only worn on a Glengarry.

PS: Just because their is no family connection with the County, doesn't mean he couldn't have served with the Royal Northumberland Fusiliers. If he was conscripted he would have had very little choice !
Yeah, I realise now. I'm going to do a bit more digging around on Ancestry but I've got to accept the fact that he could just be somebody's boyfriend or a friend of the family who went round for tea one day and had his picture taken.

I hope I can find out who he is though and find out what happened to him too.