Help identifying rank please

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by colchesterkid, Nov 11, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello,

I hope someone can help. I attach a photograph of my grandparents on their wedding day in Colchester. My grandfather was born in Birmigham.

I am trying to find out what rank he was in this photograph - I have searched all over Google by can't find anything for 4 arrows.

I would also be very interested to know what the pins on his left lapel represent and (probably impossible I know) if it's possible to tell what division he served in. I know that he enroled in the Midlands and that he was in some sort of Light Infantry. Also, he was a sucessful boxer (although I think a lot of soldiers were) and I remember him telling me he served time in Africa in WW2. I have also been able to locate a POW reference for him.

Any information would be gratefully received. He never liked to talk about his days serving and I am keep to learn more.

Many thanks.

Attached Files:

• jsh.jpg
      File size:
      45.1 KB
    • jsh.jpg
      File size:
      45.1 KB
    • jsh.jpg
      File size:
      45.1 KB
  2. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

I cant see the pins you refer to but those stripes above his cuff are for service, if LI he could have been KSLI but during the war many were sent where needed rather than where they wanted!
    His BD looks to be the Peacetime 1946 pattern, General Melchett should be able to confirm this.
  3. Thanks.

Sorry - what is LI or KSLI?
  4. Gremlin

Gremlin LE Good Egg (charities)

Firstly those aren't pins on his left shoulder. That is his side cap, and they are the buttons at the front.

I would say that he is a Rifleman (Private) and the arrows are seniority stripes (ie years of service).

At a guess is that 1943/44?

There are others on here that will know better than I do however, and will correct everything that I've just said! :D

Best of luck!

Edit: Pah -beaten by the ugly one!
  5. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Light Infantry which was a series of regiments back then rather than a role for troops equipped with leather personell carriers.
    Kings Shropshire LI, Hereford LI (TA), Kings own Yorkshire LI, Somerset LI, Duke of Cornwalls LI, Durham LI.
  6. Got is - King's Shropshire Light Infantry.

Yes. He was a rifleman. You've jogged my memory.

7. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Rifleman wasnt a KSLI rank. The two silver buttons are the ones on his chip packet. He possibly would have been a Private as KSLI werent a Rifle Regiment but a county regt with the honour of being called Light Infantry bestowed by a Monarch.
  8. I appreciate your help - I have found out more here in 10 minutes than a week of research.

Apparently he was demoted during WW2 after going AWOL, from Sergeant to a lower rank. Would that make sense?

He was shot in the arm (but survived having it amputated). Are medical records available online anywhere so that I might find out where that occured. I remember he couldn't stand the smell of oranges for the rest of his life after laying wounded in an orange grove, but that hardly narrows things down too much.
  9. Looks to be post 1945 as he is wearing the 39-45 star and looks to be Africa star, no rank indicators so Pte.
  10. I have researched teh Africa star - is that on his belt? Also, PTE - is that something connected to Physical Training?
  11. The Africa star is the ribbon above his left hand pocket, Pte is his rank Private
  12. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Changes in rank often happened at the end of hostilities, many seniors having to resort to former ranks, my Gt Uncle had to revert to Substantive Cpl so was demoted for his wedding pics!
  13. I guess the didn't need to many soldiers once the war was over.