Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help identifying a multi tool in a BCB kit.

ugly

LE
I’m the same with fixed blades.
I carry them when I have reason to use them and it’s not an issue.
Not been stopped carrying a fixed blade on me, off the estate they go in a bag, I was inside a police station having a chat many years ago when they decided to turn out my pockets and yes in there was a lineman’s knife, cable cutters, eye tying pliers but not a stuff was given as it was my work coat

Slime

LE
Not been stopped carrying a fixed blade on me, off the estate they go in a bag, I was inside a police station having a chat many years ago when they decided to turn out my pockets and yes in there was a lineman’s knife, cable cutters, eye tying pliers but not a stuff was given as it was my work coat

When I worked as a bushcraft instructor I made some sheaths with quick release buckles so I could just unclip the sheath if I had to pop off site etc.

I did forget once and found myself with the knife still on my leg while I was shopping in a Tesco store :)

I think no one cared as it was out in the sticks, arguing the point in a city centre store might have been different.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
I just go with the flow and am happy to carry a folding knife everywhere as I don’t have to worry about a good reason :)
You don't frequent nightclubs.

Slime

LE
You don't frequent nightclubs.

Very perceptive :)
To be honest I stopped going to nightclubs in the days when blokes weren’t allowed in without a tie :)

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
Very perceptive :)
To be honest I stopped going to nightclubs in the days when blokes weren’t allowed in without a tie :)
Some places even let men in without a hat and cane !

Slime

LE
Yes, the "without good reason" makes all the difference and makes it entirely debatable. The excerpt @Slime posted says "lock knives... can include multitools". Does that mean I can't carry a Leatherman Wave around with me unless I have a valid, specific reason?

I knew police officers who would give people a hard time for wearing a multitool, sometimes to the extent of 'confiscation'. The reason/excuse given for carry was generally for some kind of work from plumbing and electrics to handyman.

I knew a few police officers who would carry a multi-tool giving exactly the same excuse, that they may need it for work, and nothing happened to them. I used to have a multitool along with a first aid kit and a few other useful odds and ends in my grab bag that I kept in the area car.

Personally when I was on the beat if someone was wearing a multitool on a belt and they looked middle aged, respectable and like they were a tradesman I left it at that.

That’s bizarre really. only 27p cheaper to get it from the UK than shipped from the USA!

I checked the UK source some weeks ago to discover they were not shipping because of Corona Virus . I then carried out some research concerning paying additional costs on items purchased from USA . I discovered that for personal items as a gift ( to myself ) no VAT on items with a value of less than £89 … items up to £135 other than tobacco, alcohol and fragrances are free of Import Duty . The Jack Knife price was £11.32 so I believed was thus exempt from both .
I took a punt and ordered a Jack Knife from what_price_glory through E Bay on 22 May for a total cost of £24.30 including shipping and received it on 30 May with no additional costs … delighted .

2020 Jack Knife WL.jpg

... there is a small mark on the knife blade " Made in China " ... I am not fazed by that because I now have a knife similar to the de rigueur style for Scouts when I was a boy ... I shall still of course keep my issued knife

Last edited:
I had to borrow an electric sander off my mum and also picked up the multi tool.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200603-182229.png
    Screenshot_20200603-182229.png
    148.8 KB · Views: 35
  • Screenshot_20200603-182259.png
    Screenshot_20200603-182259.png
    145.5 KB · Views: 33
Ah, found it! I knew I had one somewhere. This came in a corporate gizzit bag from Lockheed Martin twenty years ago. Unfortunately, it's not actually made by Skunk Works, rather the Pangolin Factory in Xjinyang.

20200604_160508.jpg
20200604_160546.jpg

Teeblerone

Old-Salt
Yes it does. If I can’t source one it’s no great shakes, but the person who wants it asked for it to complete a period survival kit.
It’s a case if if one can be found thats good, but if not everything else* will look right anyway.

*I‘ve also been trying to source non branded non lubricated individual condoms. I‘ve been searching for those when my other half isn’t around to avoid awkward questions :)
I bought 144* extra-strength unlubricated condoms** from the Boots at the Elephant &Castle. They were stocked with catheter supplies, IIRC had to ask the pharmacist.
True story.

Less true:
*the pharmacist said "Eww, that's gross!"
** the pharmacist said "144 ?! Fcuk me! and I said "!45, please"

Teeblerone

Old-Salt
Guys,

The locking knife thing has nothing to do with common sense or logic.. It is an example of Judical/Police d1ck swinging and nothing more...

The sequence of events in simple terms is:

1. The Police wanted an act that would make it easy for them to nick folk with knives. They have always been able to charge people for being aggressive with stuff, including knives, but this requires that they have to make a case, produce evidence etc, which is a bit of a PITA. They would much rather have laws which define illegal possession. This is easy to convict.. possess nasty object.. nicked! The problem is however that there are a load of inconvenient, but perfectly legitimate reasons for possessing bladed objects! ...so we end up with a bodged set of laws..

2. In the passage of these laws through Parliament, the initial aim from the instigators (HO/Police) was to make simple possession of a knife illegal. This is impossible.. so it was changed to make possession of a knife without a "good reason", however it was pointed out that it is "common practice" to carry a small folding knife, and parliament agreed that this was to continue to be allowed, provided the blade was less than 3". There has never been anything in UK law about locking blades..!

3. In 1990 the Police charged an individual who has an under 3" locking blade knife in his glove compartment.. he claimed it fell under the pocket knife exemption as it was "a folding knife with a blade under 3", however the Judge decided otherwise, a decision which was upheld in both crown (Harris v DPP 1992) subsequently confirmed by the Court of Appeal (R v Deegan 1998).

If you care to read the cases cited above, you will see that it was IMHO a stitch up.. the decision was made on a particularly illogical interpretation of the law, however that is where we are.. and unless parliament can be persuaded to open the whole can of worms again and change the law, this is where it will stay..

I am sure your confidence in the Police and Judicial system will have been boosted by these facts....

...or not?
point 3 - I have a feeling it was a caravaner (caravaneer?) who had it in his picnic bag, an opinel or them funky Langiole (sp?) steak knife things.

While I agree with you, I am informed that any size locking knife enables a person to stab repeatedly, quickly and with force cf a chib or..chisel.

For the amount of times it would happen, maybe acceptable considering the amount of legit users and the fact that most scrotes will be carrying a 'show' blade, like a big kitchen knife. Not really likely to carry a multitool or OPinel and spend time faffing about , when they can just Crocodile Dundee one out of their sleeve.

Teeblerone

Old-Salt
I've never understood why having a locking capability on sub 3 inch bladed knife, instantly turns it into a death machine. It seems a very sensible safety feature.
no -one would ever carry a bit of old copper tube wide enough to slip over the blade and start of handle to stop a non-locker closing suddenly.

Interesting that the quote about Regulations say 'unlocked by a button'. So does that mean multitools where there is both no button and the blade can move a bit are OK? [slightly rhetorical, I will go & read up]

....I took a punt and ordered a Jack Knife from what_price_glory through E Bay on 22 May for a total cost of £24.30 including shipping and received it on 30 May with no additional costs … delighted .

View attachment 477801

... there is a small mark on the knife blade " Made in China " ... I am not fazed by that because I now have a knife similar to the de rigueur style for Scouts when I was a boy ... I shall still of course keep my issued knife

A bit of thread revival. Does the tin opener work? It looks like there's not enough of a sharp edge on the inside, and too much is sharpened on the outside, compared to the original design. Once you've stabbed the tin it's the inside that does the work.

CC_TA

LE
So many copies of multitools it's pot luck depending on the materials & manufacturing process.
If you're after a decent all rounder I recommend the SOG Powerlock.

5110 01 5666638 is the 'discount code' for those that have a decent supplier/stores bod.

Attachments

• 20201026_180407.jpg
    20201026_180407.jpg
    663.4 KB · Views: 14
no -one would ever carry a bit of old copper tube wide enough to slip over the blade and start of handle to stop a non-locker closing suddenly.

Interesting that the quote about Regulations say 'unlocked by a button'. So does that mean multitools where there is both no button and the blade can move a bit are OK? [slightly rhetorical, I will go & read up]

In my understanding there are blades which "click" into place and require the pushing of a lever, or button, to allow the blade to be closed.

The type which opens and stays in place with some pressure and will close without the manipulation of a lever, or button, is called a slip-joint. Spyderco made a slip-joint knife to work around comply with the law and called it the UK Pen Knife (UKPK).

Teeblerone

Old-Salt
In my understanding there are blades which "click" into place and require the pushing of a lever, or button, to allow the blade to be closed.

The type which opens and stays in place with some pressure and will close without the manipulation of a lever, or button, is called a slip-joint. Spyderco made a slip-joint knife to work around comply with the law and called it the UK Pen Knife (UKPK).

Nice one, Effendi, cheers!
I knew what a liner lock was, but not a slip lock - it seems very sensible.

Still can't work out if a Leatherman Micra is strictly legal; when opened, the blade can pivot about 25 degrees. Not liable to go round fighting or stabbing people, so few worries about carrying it.