Help identifying a multi tool in a BCB kit.

Slime

LE
'ave a shufti
I had a better look on that site today.
I saw they are selling a copy of the old style West German army trooper knife that was also sold as the Victorinox trooper.

I don’t know how good the steel is on the copy but I have to say the Victorinox trooper I bought in 1985 still looks like brand new.
The wood saw on them was always superb and mine was used to cut countless vehicle cam net poles, or bushcraft camp items.

DAE9B5D1-A705-4E3E-AFD4-11F8CB16892F.jpeg

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
Thats a very simple way to attach cord of line to an improvised tarp.
This is true, and very effective for thin material.

A parachute can be turned into a shelter and the suspender clips make guy line attachment very easy
It's little known fact, but there are in fact parachutes that are constructed with lines already attached, expressly for survival situations.

Last edited:
Let’s cut to the chase.
If anyone is too thick to use a non locking folder safely ........don’t use one.
I’m certainly not exceptional in any way and have managed to use them very safely for half a century.
Let's get to the heart of the matter - would you be happy for your kids/grandkids/great-grandkids to have penknives with unlocked blades when that simple safety feature of our times is now freely available?
At age nine some Swiss friends gave me a Victorinox penknife for my birthday and it was amazing until I lost it 11 years later in the IDF. The risks due to it being non-lockable were always an issue though (and yes I screwed up and saw others screw up along the way).

Ned_Seagoon

War Hero
You did however raise an interesting point about tin openers. With so many only knowing newer designs it can really take some time for people to figure out the older styles.

I’ve just taken this pic to show differences.

View attachment 463589
Snap. This is Ned Senior’s. Dated 1946, the year he joined the Lancashire Fusileers and subsequently transferred to the RWAFF. It still lies in a small box of his most useful tools close to the garage door and, until very recently, was used regularly. Like him (now 92) it is showing its age but is still basically functional.
607464AE-5DEC-4544-A9A0-BB77140A2258.jpeg
A0D9A009-5ED5-4DBE-B490-11376ABE7A39.jpeg

Slime

LE
Let's get to the heart of the matter - would you be happy for your kids/grandkids/great-grandkids to have penknives with unlocked blades when that simple safety feature of our times is now freely available?
At age nine some Swiss friends gave me a Victorinox penknife for my birthday and it was amazing until I lost it 11 years later in the IDF. The risks due to it being non-lockable were always an issue though (and yes I screwed up and saw others screw up along the way).
To be clear, you are asking if I would be happy for my kids or grand kids to walk around with a knife that is illegal to carry and could see them arrested for carrying it............hmmmmm let me think,

Does the fact that lock knives are illegal to ‘just carry for the sake of having a locking blade’ in the U.K. help answer your question?

Last edited:

Slime

LE
This is true, and very effective for thin material.

It's little known fact, but there are in fact parachutes that are constructed with lines already attached, expressly for survival situations.
Apart from re attaching lines in different places to make porches etc the suspenders are also useful for cross dressers in these modern survival times, after all, the armed forces are all about diversity these days. :)

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
Apart from re attaching lines in different places to make porches etc the suspenders are also useful for cross dressers in these modern survival times, after all, the armed forces are all about diversity these days. :)
Happy with that.

Could you just help me get my seams straight ?

To be clear, you are asking if I would be happy for my kids or grand kids to walk around with a knife that is illegal to carry and could see them arrested for carrying it............hmmmmm let me think,

Does the fact that lock knives are illegal to ‘just carry for the sake of having a locking blade’ in the U.K. help answer your question?
But their illegality seems to be something that was made up, from what BtB has related. There doesn't appear to be anything in the legislation in that regard.

Slime

LE
But their illegality seems to be something that was made up, from what BtB has related. There doesn't appear to be anything in the legislation in that regard.
Here is the basic info on lock knives from the UK Gov website.
don’t shoot the messenger, take it up with the government :)

4A07F984-8FF4-46AC-9FE5-857F8C43C109.png

Slime

LE
@Lardbeast

To further muddy things from a U.K. perspective.
Butterfly knives are on the banned list on the government website, but while I can’t buy a butterfly knife on Amazon or similar selling sites I can easily buy ‘butterfly style’ chisels that have a sharp end, plus one sharp side........so pretty much a butterfly knife.

Slime

LE
Here is a folding chisel, it’s just under £15 on Amazon. Only a sharp end, but butterfly style and very stabby.
8FE35657-3DCA-49C3-9853-B020CA68BC5C.jpeg

I think there's an earlier post on here where @bob_the_bomb explains how it came about. There is no actual legislation re locking blades from what I can gather, but the accepted norm appears to be that they're frowned on by Plod.

Slime

LE
I think there's an earlier post on here where @bob_the_bomb explains how it came about. There is no actual legislation re locking blades from what I can gather, but the accepted norm appears to be that they're frowned on by Plod.

Again, don’t shoot the messenger.
The pic was the government website saying what the law is.
How or why it came about makes no difference. :)

Is that actually legislated or just an expansion of what's been promulgated in law in their own words?

Good reason
Yes, the "without good reason" makes all the difference and makes it entirely debatable. The excerpt @Slime posted says "lock knives... can include multitools". Does that mean I can't carry a Leatherman Wave around with me unless I have a valid, specific reason?

ugly

LE
Yes, the "without good reason" makes all the difference and makes it entirely debatable. The excerpt @Slime posted says "lock knives... can include multitools". Does that mean I can't carry a Leatherman Wave around with me unless I have a valid, specific reason?
No idea, I’ve never been stopped carrying one, a folding lock knife yes but I have good reason

Slime

LE
It’s comical to see people scrabble to find excuses.

Its been happening for years and is nothing new.

I just go with the flow and am happy to carry a folding knife everywhere as I don’t have to worry about a good reason :)

Slime

LE
No idea, I’ve never been stopped carrying one, a folding lock knife yes but I have good reason
I’m the same with fixed blades.
I carry them when I have reason to use them and it’s not an issue.

Slime

LE
Leatherman offer advice themselves.

I‘m sure you already know if your leatherman has a locking blade so don’t need to ask anyone else what your own knife has :)

Latest Threads