Help identifying a multi tool in a BCB kit.

QRK2

LE
Yes, this one, I still remember the address, St George's Works, St George's Quay !
They stopped the clothing and webbing etc a long time back (early 2000s?), they continued selling historic kit etc on ebay for a while but not seen them for a few years.

They stopped the clothing and webbing etc a long time back (early 2000s?), they continued selling historic kit etc on ebay for a while but not seen them for a few years.
Thank you ! I still have a couple of smocks from them and had visited their premises. The owner was pleasant to deal with in spite of the fact he never seemed to be able to respect the delivery times he promised. Probably because he was successful...at the time.

Scunner

Old-Salt
it does pretty much seem like the SOG is the tool, but all I’ve been able to find since starting this thread are the new ones with plastic scales, not an all metal version like in the initial photo.
craptool 01.jpg

is this it? Bought this years ago, it arrived, instant disapointment, straight into the drawer of useless crap never to see the light of day until now...

Slime

LE
View attachment 463516
is this it? Bought this years ago, it arrived, instant disapointment, straight into the drawer of useless crap never to see the light of day until now...
That one is certainly very similar. It has a different design of pliers and fewer rivets holding it together, but that might just be a different production run rather than a copy etc.

Slime

LE
He certainly believes he did. A mutual acquaintance told me the guy is old school, straight as a ruler.
The OSS tool?
The reason I mentioned seeing him as the inventor is that the Chinese used tools with pliers in the early ‘50s and there are tools like the OSS tool from a decade earlier.
Without looking him up ISTR Leatherman had his first tool in the ‘80s

Happy to be corrected.

The OSS tool?
The reason I mentioned seeing him as the inventor is that the Chinese used tools with pliers in the early ‘50s and there are tools like the OSS tool from a decade earlier.
Without looking him up ISTR Leatherman had his first tool in the ‘80s

Happy to be corrected.
You may well be right. He wouldn't have necessarily been able to know that something similar had already been developed. I think he wanted a tool that combined several features, unlike anything he could find on the market, so he just tried making one in his garage.

Wikipedia says:
Timothy S. Leatherman, a 1970 mechanical engineering graduate of Oregon State University, and his business partner, Steve Berliner, formed Leatherman Tool Group in 1983.
Leatherman was inspired to design a "Boy Scout knife with pliers" while he and his wife traveled Europe and the Middle East in 1975, often attempting to use a simple pocketknife to repair their repeatedly malfunctioning car and leaky hotel plumbing.[2][3] He spent several years perfecting the "Mr. Crunch" prototype and received his first U.S. patent (4,238,862) in 1980.[4] After additional refinement, Leatherman’s first product was introduced in 1983 as the Pocket Survival Tool (PST) and initially sold through Early Winters' and Cabela’s mail-order catalogs.[3]

Slime

LE
You may well be right. He wouldn't have necessarily been able to know that something similar had already been developed. I think he wanted a tool that combined several features, unlike anything he could find on the market, so he just tried making one in his garage.

Wikipedia says:
Timothy S. Leatherman, a 1970 mechanical engineering graduate of Oregon State University, and his business partner, Steve Berliner, formed Leatherman Tool Group in 1983.
Leatherman was inspired to design a "Boy Scout knife with pliers" while he and his wife traveled Europe and the Middle East in 1975, often attempting to use a simple pocketknife to repair their repeatedly malfunctioning car and leaky hotel plumbing.[2][3] He spent several years perfecting the "Mr. Crunch" prototype and received his first U.S. patent (4,238,862) in 1980.[4] After additional refinement, Leatherman’s first product was introduced in 1983 as the Pocket Survival Tool (PST) and initially sold through Early Winters' and Cabela’s mail-order catalogs.[3]
I tend to watch too many US documentaries, and thus regularly get to see just how much was invented in the USA..........often years or decades after they had been invented elsewhere :)

Here are a couple of stand out achievements:
The F16 was the first aircraft to have a greater than 1:1 thrust to weight ratio....................ten years after the P1127/Kestrel/Harrier that could take off vertically from a stand still.

The F22 was the first aircraft in the world to be able to super cruise..........decades after the EE Lightning.

The CH54 sky crane was the worlds largest helicopter.........despite being dwarfed by some Soviet designs.

My favourite is that the USA was the first country to abolish slavery........even if we ignore some states reintroduced it again later the chronological comparison with the UK just doesn’t stack up. :)

Leathernan may have invented a multi tool that used the same principles as others used at least two decades earlier, but it’s a bit rich to say he was the first imho.

View attachment 463516
Interesting I have something similar made of Stainless Steel and has been in my hill walking bags for well over 25 years and has seen some use .... it seems well made ... to be honest only ever used the knives .... however the day I take it out ...

20200407_172656 WL.jpg

Last edited:

Slime

LE
Interesting I have something similar made of Stainless Steel and has been in my hill walking bags for well over 25 years and has seen some use .... it seems well made ... to be honest only ever used the knives .... however the day I take it out ...

View attachment 463529
Does it have a makers name anywhere on the tool or pouch?

Does it have a makers name anywhere on the tool or pouch?
Just checked ... the only marking is " STAINLESS " stamped into the body near the base of the Plier Jaws .... as can be seen in my photograph ... it is certainly not of inferior construction .

Those are no brand Chinese multitools sold all over the place, some have a little hammer on them , some have pliers . I've got the same one knocking about somewhere with an adjustable spanner on it.

Last edited:
Aha, Toolclip - originally made by SOG in Seki, Japan. No longer made, I had a copy and it was ok.
Believe it's actually a copy of an earlier tool dating back to maybe WW2.

Slime

LE
Just checked ... the only marking is " STAINLESS " stamped into the body near the base of the Plier Jaws .... as can be seen in my photograph ... it is certainly not of inferior construction .
Thanks for looking, worth a try :)

Thanks for looking, worth a try :)
Does it have to be that particular one for some reason?

The Leatherman Skeletool is similarish in function and design. I have a few*
dotted around, or attached to various bags and bits of kit and find that the basic pliers, knife, church key, pokey thing, design fills all my needs.

Note: * home depot had them on sale one xmas for $25 a piece.

it does pretty much seem like the SOG is the tool, but all I’ve been able to find since starting this thread are the new ones with plastic scales, not an all metal version like in the initial photo.
They stopped making them ages ago sadly - not interested in Microtool but the Toolclip really was practical and useful.

I can find you a GR of where I lost it in Kuwait if you have a detector.

I also carried a USN Model O Divers knife - the blade's bollox but pommel for hammering, saw back and point for making holes in wood etc., was really useful... and because I always packed snorkel and fins in my kit - but that was for social as well as business.

Slime

LE
Does it have to be that particular one for some reason?

The Leatherman Skeletool is similarish in function and design. I have a few*
dotted around, or attached to various bags and bits of kit and find that the basic pliers, knife, church key, pokey thing, design fills all my needs.

Note: * home depot had them on sale one xmas for $25 a piece.
Yes it does. If I can’t source one it’s no great shakes, but the person who wants it asked for it to complete a period survival kit.
It’s a case if if one can be found thats good, but if not everything else* will look right anyway.

*I‘ve also been trying to source non branded non lubricated individual condoms. I‘ve been searching for those when my other half isn’t around to avoid awkward questions :)

Latest Threads