Help! Identify Toshs shorty FN from Wild Geese

Discussion in 'Films, Music and All Things Artsy' started by beaty1961, Apr 14, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. This is a strange one which I have never noticed before despite watching the film 'Wild Geese' many times...

Take a look at Tosh's FN - notice anything strange? It seems to be a shortened FN FAL that I haven't seen before!

[​IMG]
    (BTW this isn't a 'perspective' thing - you see this short carbine from several different angles through the film.)

Now 'Wild Geese' was made in 1978 - well before the days of the DSA SA58 FAL 'shorty'...So where did he get this gun and what is it???

In the movie many of the Brit mercs are armed with various FALs and L1A1 - But only 'Tosh' has this custom FAL with extended 30 round mag and early red dot sight!

What makes me feel this is a special gun is that 'Tosh' was played by a guy called Ian Yule - if you watch the movie you immediately recognize that 'Tosh' is a *real* ex-squaddie, and in fact Ian was an ex Para and member of the SAS...

This makes me think that he would know what's what and carry something he was familiar with.

Does anyone have any info on this - or has heard of a 'special' short FN or L1A1 that was custom made for the SAS? (Certainly the 30 round mag looks like one of the specials that were made for use in Northern Ireland).

I'd appreciate any comments or assistance - thanks in advance guys.

B

2. The 30 rd Mag is for the L4 Bren gun.

The Australian & New Zealand SAS had some shortened L1A1's.

3. Try this

4. His name is Ian Yule and he is said to be EX Para and" them" so he might have used his own gear

5. ;)

Fat_Cav , you are a gem mate!

I have literally never heard of this weapon before - and I thought I knew my FALs!

Cheers! (I'm off to research this to bits!)

:D

6. The only thing I find strange is tosh thinking that the seat out of a ford anglia is going to stop any rounds hitting him :)

7. Tropper, thanks for that, I was having real trouble working out what this meant from the original post.
    "....What makes me feel this is a special gun is that 'Tosh' was played by a guy called Ian Yule - if you watch the movie you immediately recognize that 'Tosh' is a *real* ex-squaddie, and in fact Ian was an ex Para and member of the SAS......"

I am in awe of your general knowledge. You aren't related to Vince Cable in any way are you?

8. thanks tropper66...

That is indeed what I meant to say...Fat fingers and small keyboard = jghvewulyv i;w ;i vwf'uob'obewf!

;)

9. just wait till you get old and go blind, I'm seeing, not very well, the eye surgeon on friday at the University Hospital of Wales so I might be able to read next week.

10. Well I can't see any links because the company proxy server says "Forbidden Category - Weapons". Computer says No.

But I think it's an R1 Carbine

11. Thanks to everyone for their help...

'Wild Geese' was shot in the Transvaal - it is therefore likely that all firearms were sourced in South Africa. So it does indeed look like it's an R1...

It's a bit of a geeky thing but it's very nice to find a 'new' FAL that I didn't know about.

Much appreciated.

B

12. Helston's currently have two for sale at 675 GBP each, with black plastic furniture.

[​IMG]

13. I'm still trying to figure out how he thought he was going to shoot an airplane down with it. Why not throw a beret at it, about as much chance.