Help identifing animal/bird noise

Discussion in 'Shooting, Hunting and Fishing' started by Fang_Farrier, Jul 17, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Fang_Farrier

Fang_Farrier LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Trying to work out what's making a strange squeaking/creaking noise almost like a gate squeaking.

Seems to be coming from a batch of pine trees across road from us at night. Whatever it is that is making the call is answered by a similar call. This calling back and forth goes on a wee while.

There are no gates nearby that something could be mimicking.

Any ideas. Sensible ones appreciated seeing as this is not the Naafi.

2. Gremlin

Gremlin LE Good Egg (charities)

Best first guess would be a couple of Owls, at least in terms of how you have described it.

It's either a couple talking to each other, or a pair of males having a territorial dispute.

There is a fairly good description of their calls and habits here:

Chris Sperring - Owl watching

3. Fang_Farrier

Cheers for the link

"Long-eared owlets make a call which sounds just like a squeaky garden gate when begging for food."

"In the summer the young Long-eared Owls use their classic ‘squeaky gate’ calls to beg for food from their parents."

That would mean we have some of them!

4. Gremlin

Lucky sod! :D

5. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

Or a squeaky gate!!!:D:cool:

6. Fang_Farrier

No gates in region of noise, not that daft.

First thing I checked.

7. Wouldnt be a corncrake would it? Bloody things keep us awake all night every summer out here.

8. Or even creaking trees - branches rubbing together; it happens ... Drove me nuts when I was sitting in a high seat one morning!

9. i will swap you fifty sparrows for one owl!

10. Fang_Farrier

Would recognise a corncrake as have had them in fields when living else where

11. Fang_Farrier

Know that noise too well, from numerous walks and nights in woods.

But this is definitely animal, only at night and is at least two animals which answer each other.

The Long Eared Owls fit with the territory of the Highlands where I am.

12. If you are in the hills could it be a couple of calling capercaillie males? They set up lecs in the woods and can make a bloody racket.

13. My money is on the owls. Corncrakes don't really sound like a creaking gate and capercaillies tend to make a racket by day, rather than by night.

14. Gremlin

Quite!

For some reason 338 seems to be on a mission to prove that it's something other than the most obvious culprit! :)

15. Gremlin has Long Eared Owls bang on. They're very rare and need conifer woods and rough grassland to survive. You must live in a cave somewhere up there I'd guess. They can be on the menu themselves to the common buzzard apparently.