• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

Help identifing animal/bird noise

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Trying to work out what's making a strange squeaking/creaking noise almost like a gate squeaking.

Seems to be coming from a batch of pine trees across road from us at night. Whatever it is that is making the call is answered by a similar call. This calling back and forth goes on a wee while.

There are no gates nearby that something could be mimicking.

Any ideas. Sensible ones appreciated seeing as this is not the Naafi.

Best first guess would be a couple of Owls, at least in terms of how you have described it.

It's either a couple talking to each other, or a pair of males having a territorial dispute.

There is a fairly good description of their calls and habits here:

Chris Sperring - Owl watching

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Cheers for the link

"Long-eared owlets make a call which sounds just like a squeaky garden gate when begging for food."

"In the summer the young Long-eared Owls use their classic ‘squeaky gate’ calls to beg for food from their parents."

That would mean we have some of them!

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Cheers for the link

"Long-eared owlets make a call which sounds just like a squeaky garden gate when begging for food."

"In the summer the young Long-eared Owls use their classic ‘squeaky gate’ calls to beg for food from their parents."

Or a squeaky gate!!!:D:cool:

Cheers for the link

i will swap you fifty sparrows for one owl!

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Or even creaking trees - branches rubbing together; it happens ... Drove me nuts when I was sitting in a high seat one morning!
Know that noise too well, from numerous walks and nights in woods.

But this is definitely animal, only at night and is at least two animals which answer each other.

The Long Eared Owls fit with the territory of the Highlands where I am.

My money is on the owls. Corncrakes don't really sound like a creaking gate and capercaillies tend to make a racket by day, rather than by night.

My money is on the owls. Corncrakes don't really sound like a creaking gate and capercaillies tend to make a racket by day, rather than by night.
Quite!

For some reason 338 seems to be on a mission to prove that it's something other than the most obvious culprit! :)

Would recognise a corncrake as have had them in fields when living else where
Gremlin has Long Eared Owls bang on. They're very rare and need conifer woods and rough grassland to survive. You must live in a cave somewhere up there I'd guess. They can be on the menu themselves to the common buzzard apparently.

The Long Ears had nowt to do with me Monty, that was F_F's spot. The behaviour however seemed very similar to Little Owls, which can (despite their name) be aggressive little sods!

The most unusual sound & sight I've ever seen was up in the "Forest of Bowland"whilst camping with my sons. We heard a sort of "whirring" noise in the air and saw this Woodcock flying up & down "Roding"!

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Gremlin has Long Eared Owls bang on. They're very rare and need conifer woods and rough grassland to survive. You must live in a cave somewhere up there I'd guess. They can be on the menu themselves to the common buzzard apparently.
Not a cave but a very nice house, with a copse of pine trees on some croft land opposite us, surrounded by more croft land and a hill side nehnd us covered in grass, heather and whin, almost exactly as you need.

Latest Threads