Help, I think Ive got a virus!

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by Tartan_Terrier, Jan 11, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. When I checked e-mails this afternoon I got over 560 of those mail undeliverable e-mails. Since I didn't attempt to send e-mails to half the western world yesterday, I presume I've got a virus.

I've now run a scan twice (AVG) and it's found nothing, does anyone out there have any ideas on what it is?

Thanks

Tartan_Terrier

2. msr

msr LE

I think your email address has been used by a virus on someone else's computer to send emails from their infected computer...

msr

3. I'd wondered if that was possible, but hadn't heard of it before.

What's the procedure then?

Should I contact my e-mail provider?

4. msr

msr LE

5. I would try scanning with another antivirus program - I found AVG to be a bit pants. Make sure you have all the latest security patches loaded. While you are at it run Ad-aware and Spybot S&D to see if there is any spyware etc.
    What email application are you using - if you're not already try Thunderbird, (http://www.mozilla.com) it's the dog's nadgers when i comes to spam and virus prevention...I started using it and the Firefox browser when they first launched and I haven't had any problems since (touch wood)...

Edited - Just noticed that this thread is in the NAAFI Bar so thought I had better swear a bit. Here goes - feck! sh1t! b0llocks!

6. I've run yahoo anti spy, and Ad-aware. There wasn't much to be found.

I'm using Outlook Express.

Good idea! I'll try another anti-virus program and see what happens.

7. msr

msr LE

I really don't think that the problem is yours...

But you might like to change from Outlook Express to a more secure email client like: http://www.mozilla.com/thunderbird/

msr

8. I Think I can help.

Just send your name and credit card details to me and i;ll get my dad to sort it out for you. If your wife sends hers too i'll get the guy that did it sorted out.

Yours,

Prince Mbutu of Nigeria

9. This happened to a mate last week. Contact your ISP.

10. With this in the NAAFI I thought you were going on about catching a dose!

11. I wasn't sure where to put it, but now that you mention it....................

12. I've just run a check with Symantec as well, with nothing to be found, so it certainly seems like it's not a problem with my PC.

I'll call my internet provider, and see what they say.

Thanks for the help.

13. There is a good possibility that one of your email accounts has been compromised by a spammer. Go change all your passwords now

14. Calm the beans.

First things first, get rid of any spyware or malware on the machine, you can do this manually by searching through the registry but it's a pain in the hole and takes far more time and effort than you'll be bothered with.

If your using Windows XP I'd recommend downloading The Microsoft Anti Spyware program from here. Get that downloaded, installed and updated. It's a really simple interface and holds your hand while you get rid of those nasties, oh and it's free.

Next I'd update your computer using Windows Update. Let it download all the High and Critical updates. It'll probably want to reboot your machine after this.

My guess is that it's probably some spyware / malware and AVG, McAfee and the like don't pick that stuff up as standard, so the Anti Spyware gubbins should hopefully sort you out.

Failing all of that change your passwords, panic and call India (oops I mean your ISP :roll: )

Hope that helps.