Help I have a nasty bug!

Discussion in 'Gaming and Software' started by commzmeanzbombz, Dec 18, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Morning All,

Last night I somehow received a virus on my home laptop.

My Firewall didn't pick it up and Macafee antivirus ignored it too.

It pops up telling me I have loads of viruses and I need to download Guardpro 2009 to get rid. The problem is it wont let me do anything else on the computer i.e. open files or programs etc.

Whatever I click on it tries to launch internet explorer to the guardpro website.

Is my computer knackered or is there anything I can do?

If you can help please keep your answers really basic as I am not an IT guru!

Cheers,

Dave

2. msr

msr LE

3. Cheers MSR I will give it a go.

4. msr

msr LE

Check your PMs

5. Why do people insist on using McAffee. You should use NOD32 (paid) or Antivir (free), both update at least twice a day (usually more) and are heuristic.....and personally I really wouldn't use anything microsoft have to offer.

6. msr

msr LE

Not using software because it is from Microsoft is just irrational: http://www.virusbtn.com/vb100/rap-index.xml

msr

7. The Microsoft Security Essential suite is really a top notch product, and as it is both anti-virus as well as anti-spywear it will give you far better protection than the majority of free solutions out there. As for the OPs problem, it is not a virus, but malware which the Microsoft product should be able to remove.

8. thanks for the link msr, have now updated mine

9. This is why I use NOD32, it does both antivirus, antispyware, spam and is a firewall as well (I use zonealarm for a firewall though). I have also been using the free antivir and have to say it is very good. I wouldn't use microsofts product as in the past their antispyware products have been shown to be pretty poor and that is no suprise coming from a company that is trying to do thousands of things. To me it's like getting a credit card/loan from Tesco's. I just wouldn't because tescos is a shop and not a financial company.

10. Cabana, getting a credit card from Tesco isn't really- it's a Tesco-branded product from a bank.

Microsoft is a software company that's having to compete, and has finally realised this. Their security software is second to none.

I would recommed ditching Zonealarm, as in my experience it blows goats. It's certainly doing something, and that something doesn't include being an effective firewall. It did try to use every bit of processing power my PC has to offer.

I'm using Avast and Microsoft Security Essentials together on Win7 and have yet to suffer any kind of issue, including a BSOD.

11. Apart from the fact that the news on the street is that Tesco will buy out the bank that is operating and take over itself.

12. Which bank is that? Do they all (shops and things) do that or just some of them?

I would still be wary of MS anti wotnot stuff, at least until I see it in comparrison with something like NOD32 and it has been out there a few years and is battle proven.

Avast you say? No way I say! Why are you running two antivirus softwares on your computer at the same time? Not a good idea!

I will look into what you say about zonealarm and may just stick with the NOD32 one.

13. Tesco and Sainsburys are both rebranded from other banks, can't remember which. As is Tesco Mobile- it's just O2 with a new sticker.

I'm using Avast because my brother has a 5 license pack and had one left over! I've been using Avast and the MS product together for quite some time and haven't had any issues.

I agree that competing AV products frequently identify each other as problems, but having the different company's updates allows better coverage. As the two I'm using don't argue then I'm happy.

14. Having 2 products means that you have 2 programs doing the same job and slowing your system down, and they will eventually have issues. Don't do it, trust me on this!

15. msr

msr LE

Here is a link: http://www.virusbtn.com/vb100/rap-index.xml

If you are going to post uninformed nonsense, kindly do it on another site.

msr