to do pull ups the proper way????

Discussion in 'Sports, Adventure Training and Events' started by kingpin, Jun 21, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I start basic training in in 2 months and wondered if anyone can advise me on how I can build up the muscle's you use when you do Pull Ups on the bar. I'm guessing its all about upper body strength, and push up's should help?

I say this, as i'm ok for running, sit up's, push up's, but when it comes to pull up's, I end up swinging on the bar like a demented ape much to the amusement of the PTI's when I done selection. Is there a technique or is it just based on shear upper body strength?

...any suggestions would be welcome? :?
  2. 1 Find a bar to practise on.
    2 jump up and grab it.
    3 Pull up
    4 Go down
    5 Pull up
    6 Go down
    7 repeat steps 3 to 6
    I could only do one when i first started, just keep trying and you should improve. Another thing that helped me was letting my legs slightly swing forward just before i went up.
  3. mysteron

mysteron LE Book Reviewer

4. You need to bend your legs slightly forward from the hips, this will change your centre of gravity and should solve the problem. Try altering your pace too, as rapid jerky movements will upset your equilibrium. Dont forget to breathe, and try to regulate your breathing so that your inward and outward breaths occur at the same point in your cycle. A good technique is important as sheer effort alone will not produce the best results.

Good luck.
  5. cheers, I am now starting to get better, getting that little bit higher each time, also keeping my legs forward a tad seems to help...seems like practice is the key here. :D
  6. As said above, practive makes perfect, but there are other ways to help.

Try some good old weightlifiting with some medium weights.

Millitary press is good for shoulders,

Bicep curls good for arms (bi and triceps)

Behind the neck military press is also good for shoulders.

Powerlift (holding barbell in two hands at waist level then lifting up to chin and back down) is good for shoulders, arms and the bit between shoulders and neck)

Try to find the weight where you can do 6-8 reps with perfect form. Do them every 2nd day so that you rest your muscles.

Anyother help you need, check out a site like menshealth