HELP - health and safety issue

Discussion in 'Finance, Property, Law' started by rachelpeart, Jun 2, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I live in SFA and my 18 month old son somehow managed to climb onto his bedroom window ledge. on doing this he lent on the window and due to no child safety locks being fitted he fell and broke his leg. all the houses around me have safety locks fitted and I was not made aware mine didnt. does anyone know what the regulations are on this ?
    thanks

2. Oh my fecking god! I hope he is on the mend, very lucky all things considering. I have kids of my own and that doesn't bear thinking about.
    Get a good solicitor. Check to see if the other houses requested the safety locks be fitted, and whether or not it is in your SFA contract, much like room dividers (Not allowed to call them stair gates any more), "if you want them ask" sort of thing. Common sense says there should be some sort of restriction on the windows, but then rules and what they can get away with are totally different.

3. Did you not make yourself aware they were not fitted whenever you looked at the windows and didnt see any? Seems there is a bit of parental irresponsibility here too. I do despair where people immediately look for someone to blame, there has been a problem, get it solved and let's all hope that little one remains safe and isnt left on his own too long again to get into that sort of mischief, who would you have looked to for blame if he had simply shut his hand in the bedroom door and broke his fingers while on his own?

• Like Like x 1
  4. Do the windows in question have any lockable device on them?

5. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

why was he not in his cage? do they not use playpens anymore

6. Firstly, you need to report it to the MHS helpdesk on 0800 number, and ask them to raise job for child restrictors to be fitted.

Secondly, where do.you live.

7. Negligent-Discharge

Negligent-Discharge LE Book Reviewer

This is just ridiculous! The Woking Council have a stand outside the Library for some housing initiative. Santa's there with four helpers... and they're all wearing happy little elf outfits... with fecking hi-viz jackets. It's a pedestrian zone FFS! Litigation and H&S culture gone bonkers. Rant over.

8. I think the relevant regulation is that, instead of trying to lay blame elsewhere, you take some responsibility for your child's safety.
    As has been said, didn't you think to check the windows, or ensure that your 18 month old child wasn't able to climb out of the window?

• Like Like x 1
  9. I guess it's a while since you had an eighteen-month old child in your care, the little sods suddenly learn how to climb, and it's difficult to foresee all the dangers that exist, particularly if you are a young harassed mum, so you kinda rely on the stuff around you being fit for purpose. And if it doesn't meet the legislated requirements, it's not the fault of the child or his parents, who have every right to expect that they are not unnecessarily subjected to unsafe conditions.

10. Now that really is elf & safety!

11. Yes it is a while, but children don't change that much. They have to be watched, no matter how harassed you are. Incidents happen and when it goes pear shaped you have to be prepared to accept responsibility.

It isn't the parents' fault if equipment doesn't meet safety requirements, however it is down to them to check.

PS. How was the 18 months old toddler able to climb out of the window?

12. Harry, you have missed an important point from Post #1.

13. napier

napier LE Moderator Reviewer

When we moved into our MQ with toddlers I fitted plug covers, door stops, drawer and cupboard locks and ensured that I minimised the risk of climbing/falling. Most importantly if the kids weren't in their cots asleep I made sure they were supervised, and even then I was amazed with just how quickly they could get into trouble. No 18 month old could climb into a window sill unless the furniture in the room and lack of supervision made it possible, so if you're looking to blame someone, look in the mirror.

• Like Like x 1
  14. The date?

15. Did you film it?