Help from our Septic friends

I am a contributor on Quora, helping to answer mostly inane but occasionally interesting questions on Science, Microbiology and Computing. Another contributor commented on one of my answers and the response was a bit weird.

This was his comment on my post.:
Jeez bro! Can't get a read on you then again I'm about the most humorless stoic guy on the planet. Maybe you can teach me how to laugh starting with the art of the cracking a smile exercise. That's me being funny or ironic………probably bombed. If I could have stayed in the army kicking down doors operational I would have been better off. As a 19Delta series Ranger I was a fine, fine human being. As a civilian I am a total failure. Hate being retired. All I do is go on 4am ten mile runs, workout, love on my four companion felines, read, watch tv and ignore everyone including women. Failed! I'm in my late fifties and unfortunately I will most likely live well after the century mark. The decades to come are grim. Cancer is looking so attractive. Dead serious. That's another attempt at humor in a pun. Did I hit the mark huh?! Probably not. Thanks for trying my friend. Message me in another two decades and you may get a chuckle! You never can tell. Happy Holidays. ✝✨

His profile says:
Matthew McPadden
Career recon intel non commisioned officer. US Army retired.
My name is Matthew Leonard McPadden (Torgeson). I'm a bi-racial heterosexual sigma type male. I am half black and half white (Irish). I'm retired military. I went into the service at 17 years of age and retired at 40. I was a 19Delta, 63Tango and 16Romero in the army. Did almost thirty years in the US army. I left the army as a Sargeant First Class (E-7) in 2008. I've been deployed, done essential missions of opportunity, combat ops and TDY's many times all over the world. Got a chest full of medals, ribbons, badges, coins galore, and accommodations plenty. Not bragging but I'm very proud of my time in the service and my accomplishments. I was specifically deployed to theater's like Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, Samalia, Iraq and Afghanistan. Had other deployments and combat operations elsewhere true but that is unforunately something I can't share. I have literally been all over the world during my service in the military. You name it, I've probably been there. Saddly many of my friends in the service that I joined up with or met along the way are mostly gone now. Last man standing kinda thing. A young soldier once asked me how I got through so much of the smiles and cries of being combat effective without going into the hurt locker. I just didn't know how to answer her really you know. I have been in some real tight spots throughout the years believe me. I said to her I'm either just lucky, blessed by the Lord Jesus Christ or just that good I told her.

I don't know enough about the USA structures and designations to make any judgement, but his language seems "off" Not what I would expect from a career SNCO.

It's not a big deal, but Quora often deals with young people, and I don't want to leave my suspicions hanging with the chance of any impropriety.
Any help from @Ruckerwocman and others appreciated.

I went into the service at 17 years of age and retired at 40.........................Did almost thirty years in the US army.

Am I missing something here? Seems there are seven years unaccounted for somewhere.

I went into the service at 17 years of age and retired at 40.........................Did almost thirty years in the US army.

Am I missing something here? Seems there are seven years unaccounted for somewhere.
I'm shit at maths as well tbh.
But not THAT shit.

Caused by travel at warp speed whilst exploring the strange new worlds of Samalia, Romero, etc..

Really Kiwidoug, he's a moron on the internet and a space cadet to boot; I don't think you should waste any more time on him.

If he joined at 17 and retired at 40 he served 23 years...............not the stated 30.

A 19 D is a Cavalry Scout

Fcuk knows what a 63 Tango and 16 Romero are - I actually think he means 16 Romeo. However, it does not matter as neither are on the list of US Army Military Occupation Specialities (MOS). MOS are referred to in the manner, "my MOS was/is", or "what is/was your MOS". I do not see any of the 3 MOS as being Ranger employable.

Here is a list of the general MOS in the US Army:

Here is a list of all Ranger specific MOS - note: Rangers have the same MOS's as the normal Army it is just that they have done Ranger selection:

So, I don't know what cloud cuckoo land he is living in.

He’s gen , likely did his basic alongside redshift.

Edit; Sorry forgot Arrses own abseiling soul reaper is a Marine core vet.....

endure

GCM
I've always found that if someone sounds as though they're batshit crazy then they usually are batshit crazy and deserve a stiff ignoring...

They were wiped from his record as they were sooooo super squirrel.

Time dilation... it's complicated... you wouldn't understand... you weren't then man.

They were wiped from his record as they were sooooo super squirrel.
What happens on the other side of the stargate...

* @Effendi
In reality, 75th Ranger Regiment has it's own Recon elements, no need, and therefore, no slots for regular old Cav Scouts.
Although any soldier, with any MOS, from any unit, with approval, can attend Ranger School. ~55% will pass, if they make it through the initial sieve...

Although it is possible the guy could have been in say the 80s as Vulcan crew (SPAAG) and pushed into Bradley maintenance in the early 90s... I don't see where this would lead to his claimed deployments for that time frame, although there are a few Reserve and Guard Cav units that have been through the grinder more recently... so perhaps he could have gone Cav Scout for the Guard after a handful of years Regular. Still, his English, and especially his lack of correct military and location spellings, is not what I would expect from a RA Sergeant, much less a Sergeant First Class. Most that I have met with similar deficiencies that made it to a Reserve retirement topped out at the minimum to meet up or out policies... (SGT or SSG depending on when), this is the only scenario I can see his claims are partially possible (he's still bigging it up). I am thinking it is more likely our hero here served less than 4 years as a marginal Bradley maintainer and got booted, then built his legend from whatever misunderstood bits he picked up in his short career, mixed with every war movie he's watched since.

I made a little check...

There were 8 Torgeson listed as being in the Army or Army Reserve... 1 was retired as a CW5, the rest left as E4 or less, three were women, none named Matthew, Leonard, or M.L.

There were 5 McPadden listed as being in the Army or Army Reserve... 1 was retired as a MAJ, the rest left as E4 or less, two were women, none named Matthew, Leonard, or M.L.

No record at Benning.

I am a contributor on Quora, helping to answer mostly inane but occasionally interesting questions on Science, Microbiology and Computing. Another contributor commented on one of my answers and the response was a bit weird.

This was his comment on my post.:
Jeez bro! Can't get a read on you then again I'm about the most humorless stoic guy on the planet. Maybe you can teach me how to laugh starting with the art of the cracking a smile exercise. That's me being funny or ironic………probably bombed. If I could have stayed in the army kicking down doors operational I would have been better off. As a 19Delta series Ranger I was a fine, fine human being. As a civilian I am a total failure. Hate being retired. All I do is go on 4am ten mile runs, workout, love on my four companion felines, read, watch tv and ignore everyone including women. Failed! I'm in my late fifties and unfortunately I will most likely live well after the century mark. The decades to come are grim. Cancer is looking so attractive. Dead serious. That's another attempt at humor in a pun. Did I hit the mark huh?! Probably not. Thanks for trying my friend. Message me in another two decades and you may get a chuckle! You never can tell. Happy Holidays. ✝✨

His profile says:
Matthew McPadden
Career recon intel non commisioned officer. US Army retired.
My name is Matthew Leonard McPadden (Torgeson). I'm a bi-racial heterosexual sigma type male. I am half black and half white (Irish). I'm retired military. I went into the service at 17 years of age and retired at 40. I was a 19Delta, 63Tango and 16Romero in the army. Did almost thirty years in the US army. I left the army as a Sargeant First Class (E-7) in 2008. I've been deployed, done essential missions of opportunity, combat ops and TDY's many times all over the world. Got a chest full of medals, ribbons, badges, coins galore, and accommodations plenty. Not bragging but I'm very proud of my time in the service and my accomplishments. I was specifically deployed to theater's like Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, Samalia, Iraq and Afghanistan. Had other deployments and combat operations elsewhere true but that is unforunately something I can't share. I have literally been all over the world during my service in the military. You name it, I've probably been there. Saddly many of my friends in the service that I joined up with or met along the way are mostly gone now. Last man standing kinda thing. A young soldier once asked me how I got through so much of the smiles and cries of being combat effective without going into the hurt locker. I just didn't know how to answer her really you know. I have been in some real tight spots throughout the years believe me. I said to her I'm either just lucky, blessed by the Lord Jesus Christ or just that good I told her.

I don't know enough about the USA structures and designations to make any judgement, but his language seems "off" Not what I would expect from a career SNCO.

It's not a big deal, but Quora often deals with young people, and I don't want to leave my suspicions hanging with the chance of any impropriety.
Any help from @Ruckerwocman and others appreciated.
Hard to say if this guy is playing you or bigging up his service or not. If he came into the service at age 17 and retired at 40 in 2008, that would have been 23 years’ time in service. A person could get to be an E-7/ Sergeant First Class in that amount of time, but I wonder if he was really any good at his job as all my mates who put in that amount of time (23-35 years) retired as Master Sergeants (E-8) and Sergeant-Majors (E-9).

16R is the job code for Chaparral Missile crewman, a surface to air missile system the Army adopted in 1969 and phased out in 1998. It was usually mounted on an M113 track chassis.

19D is armor cavalry scout. I had a nephew who did a tour in Iraq during the war (2003) doing that. He said it was mightily interesting.

63T means he was a wrench. (mechanic). Performs maintenance on the improved tow vehicle, infantry fighting vehicle, cavalry fighting vehicle, fire support vehicle, multiple launch rocket system, and the family of light armored vehicles.

My personal opinion is he’s bigging his service up just like an Andy McFlabb. Nobody sensible of my acquaintance brags about being sent to all the “hot spots” and combat duty and then says he has other derring-do deployments to secret locations that he can’t divulge to you (Taps nose, knowingly) Do what you think best, but I wouldn’t invest much time in a Baron Munchasen of this type. He probably doesn’t even know what the color of the Ranger lid is.

Got a chest full of medals, ribbons, badges, coins galore, and accommodations plenty. Not bragging but I'm very proud of my time in the service and my accomplishments. I was specifically deployed to theater's like Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, Samalia, (sic) Iraq and Afghanistan. Had other deployments and combat operations elsewhere true but that is unforunately something I can't share.

MIM-72_Chaparral_07.jpg

Hard to say if this guy is playing you or bigging up his service or not. If he came into the service at age 17 and retired at 40 in 2008, that would have been 23 years’ time in service. A person could get to be an E-7/ Sergeant First Class in that amount of time, but I wonder if he was really any good at his job as all my mates who put in that amount of time (23-35 years) retired as Master Sergeants (E-8) and Sergeant-Majors (E-9).

16R is the job code for Chaparral Missile crewman, a surface to air missile system the Army adopted in 1969 and phased out in 1998. It was usually mounted on an M113 track chassis.

19D is armor cavalry scout. I had a nephew who did a tour in Iraq during the war (2003) doing that. He said it was mightily interesting.

63T means he was a wrench. (mechanic). Performs maintenance on the improved tow vehicle, infantry fighting vehicle, cavalry fighting vehicle, fire support vehicle, multiple launch rocket system, and the family of light armored vehicles.

My personal opinion is he’s bigging his service up just like an Andy McFlabb. Nobody sensible of my acquaintance brags about being sent to all the “hot spots” and combat duty and then says he has other derring-do deployments to secret locations that he can’t divulge to you (Taps nose, knowingly) Do what you think best, but I wouldn’t invest much time in a Baron Munchasen of this type. He probably doesn’t even know what the color of the Ranger lid is.

Got a chest full of medals, ribbons, badges, coins galore, and accommodations plenty. Not bragging but I'm very proud of my time in the service and my accomplishments. I was specifically deployed to theater's like Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, Samalia, (sic) Iraq and Afghanistan. Had other deployments and combat operations elsewhere true but that is unforunately something I can't share.

View attachment 435408
If either one of his last names were correct, there is no doubt he made it all up...

I made a little check...

There were 8 Torgeson listed as being in the Army or Army Reserve... 1 was retired as a CW5, the rest left as E4 or less, three were women, none named Matthew, Leonard, or M.L.

There were 5 McPadden listed as being in the Army or Army Reserve... 1 was retired as a MAJ, the rest left as E4 or less, two were women, none named Matthew, Leonard, or M.L.

No record at Benning.
If it had taken me 30 years to get to E7 I would have topped myself.

re. the Ranger recon element, I did not think they would have some donkey walloper doing recon for the 75th. More likely a role for some competent former infantry, or 82nd blokes.

May not be the same bloke but curious nevertheless:

If it had taken me 30 years to get to E7 I would have topped myself.

re. the Ranger recon element, I did not think they would have some donkey walloper doing recon for the 75th. More likely a role for some competent former infantry, or 82nd blokes.
Current, Ranger, Infantry... There is very little rotation out of 75th to 82nd and back, that is usually a one way, step down the ladder kinda trip, 82nd to 75th being a step up trip for well qualified volunteers. But 82nd did/does send as many new NCOs as they can down to the School House to grab the tab. Usually, for 75th Ranger enlisted, a round trip would have been from 75th to an LRS unit and back, or musical chairs around your own Battalion, or from 75th to ARTB (The School House) and back.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Ritch Shooting, Hunting and Fishing 22
S Join the Army - Regular Soldier Recruitment 2
Run_Charlie! The NAAFI Bar 78

Latest Threads