Help from ARRSE experts

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by blind662, Feb 28, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Found this empty casing the other day while rooting around and was hoping someone on here will be able to help

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. .303 british 1943.

3. fired from a bren gun looking at the primer ..

4. .303 cartridge case

5. Feck me that was fast pup cheers mate :D :D ,found it on the 1000m point on a range in cornwall

6. ive got a ,,few,, in my collection..

7. sadley no longer have the bren gun to go with them

8. Thanks again one and all for the super fast replies, knew I could rely on the power of the ARRSE
    Andy :D :D

9. It is a Mk 7 round, so the strike is probably Vickers and not Bren

10. Picked hundreds of .303 spent cases up on Dartmoor as a lad (old live firing range just up from where I grew up) That definatley looks like a brens strike mark but I have never seen one so dead centre, for some reason they were always off centre (and found in groups of 3...fire and manouvre?)

11. I think this one must have been dug up by a rabbit ,it was on the edge of the firing point at Tregantle ranges on top of a pile of freshly dug earth

12. GB is Greenwood & Batley - the manufacturer.

It's standard cordite loaded Mk VII Ball.

I'll bow to others superior knowledge regarding primer strike but it doesn't look like a Lee-Enfield strike of any Number or Mark.

Vickers, Bren etc are all possible. The MK VIIIz was designed for the Vickers but it could of course shoot MkVII

13. Love your WOMBAT AVATAR, horiziontally swinging vertically screwing!!

14. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

Not wanting to go off topic but I always wondered what is a 'ball' round? I mean what defines a 'ball' round from others, I mean I know what tracer is etc but had no idea there were different catagories? Genuine question and not a wah, just nobody ever explained and to be honest I never asked before, didn't seem important.

15. In the good old days when Mushie was a sprog we used to load our muskets with lead balls. Twas ball then and no one has yet tried to get their MBE for useless and pointless change by renaming it anything else.