Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help for some Ex-Pats in the U.S.

I need a new pair of chest waders how does one set these just giving things up??? WTF I had to check I didn't slip into a coma and woke up in April when I seen this tripe.......

I'd suggest that they use a charity collection to hire a good accountant, close/merge two businesses and move the third. Staying on the bus as it goes over the cliff is not a great idea, even if it's a nice old bus.

I checked with the Mod (Bad CO)ahead of time and it was either here or the U.S. thread, please feel free to move it there if need be. I opted for here because of the traffic......

I normally don't do this but I have known Nicky and her husband Sean for over 20 years........after my first trip to England I couldn't bring myself to drink American tea anymore (Sean refers to it as "Lipton swill " ?) The other cops in my Precinct told me to go see Nicky. They have been true friends, not only to the NYPD (and any & all visiting British Coppers) but also to both U.S. and U.K. service members. Again, as friends of mine and the only place to get a decent cuppa this side of the Pond, if anyone would like to help I know that they would appreciate it.

their webpage:
https://www.teaandsympathy.com/

Tea & Sympathy creates GoFundMe campaign so it's not 'the next one' to close
Afraid her businesses will be priced out of West Village, the owner is seeking assistance.

Tea & Sympathy on Greenwich Avenue, which is facing financial straits, has a GoFundMe campaign to help with real estate tax, rent and loan repayments. Photo Credit: Corey Sipkin
By Shaye Weavershaye.weaver@amny.comNovember 14, 2018 5:52 PM

Beloved West Village tea shop Tea & Sympathy, its British grocery store, and fish and chips shop, A Salt and Battery, are in trouble.
Nicky Perry, the shops' English-born owner, created a GoFundMe page on Wednesday morning in a desperate plea to keep her businesses open. With a goal set at $100,000, Perry would use the money to lower loan repayments, as well as pay vendors, real estate taxes and rents for all three of her businesses at 108, 110 and 112 Greenwich Ave.
As of early evening Wednesday, the fundraiser had collected nearly $2,300.
Tea & Sympathy, which serves tea, scones and other British favorites, has been a West Village staple since 1990. Photo Credit: Corey Sipkin
Perry, who opened Tea & Sympathy in 1990 and A Salt and Battery in 1999, said she's afraid her shops will be the next in her neighborhood to be shuttered."There's an empty store on every single damn block," she told amNewYork. "It's mad. Since I opened the shop, I'm paying 10 times the rent and 1,000 times the real estate taxes. It's killing all of us. Tortilla Flats is gone. If I don't do something, I'm going to be the next one. Will we become a high-end clothing store no one is going to buy anything from?"
The monthly fees the three businesses need for loans, vendors, real estate taxes and rent total $28,000 – and don't include other important costs of running the businesses, such as payroll, she said. The landlord for the tea shop at 108 Greenwich Ave., Sky Management, declined a request for comment and the landlord for the fish and chips and retail shop at 110-112 Greenwich Ave., Gatsby Realty, did not return a call for comment.

Tea & Sympathy, with a menu featuring favorites such as sticky toffee pudding and treacle pudding, and traditional English fare (baked beans on toast, Welsh rarebit with fresh tomato) hasn't done any less business compared with 10 years ago, but operating costs are so high, Perry said, that she can't catch up. And if things keep going the way they are, Tea & Sympathy would be forced to raise its prices and eventually close.
"People are not going to pay $45 for a pot of tea and scones," she said. "Selling $10 fish and chips and $7 scones — there's no way."
Not only that, but other businesses seem to be chipping away at her earnings. Every time someone uses a credit card, the card companies take 4 percent; Seamless and Postmates take about 12.5 percent from the profit of a single sale, she said. "People are not going to pay $45 for a pot of tea and scones," Nicky Perry said. NerdWallet says it's common for credit card companies to charge about 1 to 3 percent of the transaction. A 2014 Quartz dive into GrubHub/Seamless business filings found that the average commission charged to restaurants was 13.5 percent.
"Here, all the restaurants have to pay payroll, their bills, real estate taxes and rent, but everybody else is making the money," Perry said. "I'm not a wealthy person and I don't care about being wealthy and I'm not interested in jewelry and Chanel suits. I just want to pay my bills and give my fantastic workers a little bit extra for Christmas this year."She couldn't give her staff a bonus last year for the first time, she said. She turned to GoFundMe because she is afraid her landlords won't renew her lease at the end of the year because of all she owes.
"This morning, I was thinking, 'How am I going to do this? I'm never, ever going to make enough money,' " she said. "It made me cry."

So I thought let me try to enlist ARRSE to save the day !!!

LD17

As much as I would like to help, they have a business model that is not sustainable and us all chipping in won't change that.

The real problem appears to be the extortionate rent and tax in the area that they are established. They will have to relocate to an area that a tea room can operate in or shut up shop.

I feel sorry for them, especially because they are saddled with debt to support a terrible business model but us all bailing them out is not going to help. What happens in 2 years when they again realise that a tea room does not bring in enough money to pay the rent in west village? another whip round?

THe best thing for them is to move to a cheaper area

I fail to understand why they've got 3 premises.

06:00 - 09:30 Tea and bacon rolls
09:30 - 11:30 Tea and toast/crumpets
11:30 - 13:30 Fish and chips
13:30 - 16:30 Tea and cakes
16:30 - 22:00 Fish and chips

Shift the grocery items into a back room and advertise them in the window and on the back of the menu.

One shop, a third of the rental and half of the staff costs.

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
They have had similar problems in other American cities, the Hipsters move in while property is cheap, fix up a few places, make it popular and then property prices go through the roof and the normal people have to move out

They have had similar problems in other American cities, the Hipsters move in while property is cheap, fix up a few places, make it popular and then property prices go through the roof and the normal people have to move out

Not just American cities. Plenty of places around the world.

Latest Threads