Help for Heroes Statue - Is it a waste?

Discussion in 'Charities and Welfare' started by dingerr, Jun 26, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. A few weeks ago Prince William official opened the new multi-milion pound swimming pool complex at Headley Court.

There is a resin/fibreglass statue outside the swimming pool. This is soon to be replaced by a £125,000 bronze statue. Both statues are of the H4H stretcher.

I don't have an issue with the cost. Not many will see it at Headley. I would rather see the bronze statue in a major city so that it can be seen by many and remind them of the sacrifice and help injured troops receive.

2. Pararegtom

Pararegtom LE Book Reviewer

Personally , id rather have the cash spent on other facilities that the injured/families need at this time.

3. That was my original thought, but with the announcement by David Cameron that we will withdraw from Afghan by 2015, the dead and injured will soon be forgotten when there is nothing to remind them.

4. msr

msr LE

One for the empty plinth?

msr

5. I think the empty plinth is being kept for a statue of HM on Burmese (it's the right shape for an equestrian state), and obviously that will have to wait until after her demise. Hence the series of temporary occupants - and this statue would be a very worthy one.

But I'd rather have seen the money spent on the purposes for which it was given - ie support and facilities for the recent wounded. Assuming, that is, that it was paid forby H4H not a separate benefactor.

6. If it's already been ordered it would be better going in a public place in a major city as Dingerr suggests.

7. Hows about pride of place just inside the main gate of the 2012 olympic park?

8. Sgt.Slingsby

Sgt.Slingsby War Hero Good Egg (charities)

It sounds as though I won't be getting onto the spare Plinth, then. Buggrit.

All yours, Your Majesty.

Meanwhile, £125,000 could have done a lot for Hols4H. Buggrit.

9. I am sure HM would prefer MSR's suggestion for the currently spare plinth.

Maybe a campaign is required..............

Hand grenade thrown,ducking back down again now...........

10. How about placing it opposite the front door to 10 Downing Street... as a visible reminder to the numpties inside.

11. squeekingsapper

squeekingsapper LE Reviewer

Although I agree that the £125K could be put to better use, in the grand scheme of things it isn't a huge amount of money and wouldn't go far in paying for physio's etc.

That said, I think that if you are going to spend any money on something like this, then as mentioned, it needs to be placed somewhere prominent and permanent to remind people of those who continue to suffer long after the fighting is finished.

12. Sgt.Slingsby

Sgt.Slingsby War Hero Good Egg (charities)

No, £125k is a drop in the ocean really.

Physios - already paid for. They have a salary. So ....

Hmmm - average Hols4H respite break for the wounded, widows, kids, crippled, blinded = about £1,000.

Never mind. Pretty statue, shame about the 125 families who get fukk all to help them.

<SNARL>

13. Pararegtom

Pararegtom LE Book Reviewer

Dingerr meet a chap from Spinal today he said the exact same thing, in 5 years everyone will forget, statues or no statute,s well it,s us old duffers that have to make people not forget.

14. Have spoken to an arty friend, who pointed out that Trafalgar Square wouldn't work for two other reasons:

a) plinth is huge and high up: statue would be dwarfed and thus lose impact, and

b) statue is actually a kind of relief (more or less flat at the back): it needs to be up against a wall.

I'm trying to think of high profile walls, but not coming up with anything.....

15. CinC?