Help for Heroes help

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by redsquirrel, Nov 27, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi all,

I could do with some advice from H4H.

Here's the thing. I was invited to a Help for Heroes Charity rock night at a local pub and paid my £6 on the door and enjoyed the night. However, today, a week later and in conversation with a mate doubts over the authenticity of the event are creeping in.

I may be getting a bum steer here but I've been lead to believe that the organiser of the event might not have donated the proceeds to H4H as promised. Is there a way to check? I have no personal axe to grind with the bloke in question but others do.

I would be more than a bit angry if (as has been suggested) he was pocketing the cash. On the other hand, if the bloke is genuine, I'd be happy to let people know.

2. Porridge_gun

Porridge_gun LE Good Egg (charities)

Call the FBI

3. Cheers, Porridge. Your help, as ever, has been invaluable.

4. cant you just call Help for Heroes? Surely if it was an organised event and a lot of money was raised they would be able to check through an account or something

5. It's a thought, Coxy, cheers. I might try that on Monday. I've already searched on their website for references to the event, the organiser and the venue but found no record.

6. heres the general enquires details:
    Call Help for Heroes on 0845 673 1760 or 01980 846 459
    Help for Heroes - Unit 6, Aspire Business Centre, Ordnance Road, Tidworth, Hants, SP9 7QD

7. Cheers again, Coxy.

8. blue-sophist

blue-sophist LE Good Egg (charities)

There are a few floating around the Facebook world about whom I have some reservations.

As Coxy says, Help4H might know ... but not necessarily.

Anyone can say they're raising funds for this that or the other. I guess it's a case of feeling the water, and the general vibes.

9. Cheers, Blue. The bloke concerned does a lot of these 'cheeeerity' fund-raisers for various worthy causes (allegedly) but no-one has ever seen him making a donation, hence the concerns being raised. I've been to a few of these do's and this is not the first time there have been rumblings about where the donations are actually going.

10. blue-sophist

blue-sophist LE Good Egg (charities)

Best not go, eh?

Although, to be fair, a 'phone call to the chosen Charity wouldn't go amiss, and cost you bugg**-all.

11. I would be pessimistic enough about this to think that 99% takings were being deducted as expenses.

Road conditions are getting a bit hazardous for some vehicles you know.

12. I have contacted H4H about two or three people/organisations saying that they are operating under the H4H umbrella.
    H4H has always been very helpful; after all, they do have a reputation to consider

13. Cheers all. I'll get on to H4H Monday.

Monty, I agree entirely. HB, thanks for that - by posting this thread I was hoping that someone might have experience I could draw on.

Just a quick editorial point...reading back my last, it might sound as if I was already aware of the concerns raised but in fact today was the first I've heard. So I rang round a few mates who all seemed to have suspicions. What I wouldn't want to do is crucify someone who might be doing a very genuine service to charity but I feel obliged to check out the rumours and, if well founded, make the appropriate people aware.

14. I took your advice, and phoned H4H this morning. You were right, they were very helpful and quite concerned.

It appears the easiest way for me to check is to collar the organiser and ask for a glance at the 'Thank you' letter. All donations, whether the organiser is registered with H4H or not, are receipted and get a such a letter. Not something which I had thought of but such an easy way for this guy to stop all the rumours and something that I'll approach him over later this week (to give time for any donation to be recieved and processed).

Once again, thanks all.

15. redsquirrel
    read your PM's