Help for Heroes - Countryside Alliance are Good Blokes

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Bellthrob, Jan 29, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Even though the Countryside Alliance and the Hunting Community in general need to raise funds in order to fight various ridiculous pieces of legislation brought in by this inept Government, they still have time to raise funds for Help for Heroes. See link below:

This is in addition to their annual collections for the Poppy Appeal.

A decent bunch of selfless, community spirited citizens.
  2. Congratulations to them, good work.
  3. Hear, hear!
  4. ViroBono

ViroBono LE Moderator

H4H are successfully raising awareness (and funds, hopefully), within other areas of the field sports world, and very positive articles have appeared in several shooting publications.
  5. I found this quite distasteful.

The countryside alliance wants to further its cause by linking it to a forces charity with opportunistic photos.

I don't give a f- about hunting either way. I do care about forces charities, but I don't feel the need to take photos of myself popping cash into a collection box and plaster it all over a website promoting an unconnected (and undeniably controversial) cause!

Let's keep the two as distant as possible.
  6. chimera

chimera LE Moderator

Why? I personally don't like the Sun, but I am happy to see them boost their own image by prmoting the H4H cause. As long as it brings in the ££££££s who cares where the cash comes from, and it helps maintain awareness across all walks of life.
  7. Is the converse true? Does H4H want to get allied with the Countryside Alliance?

The original post was to promote the Countryside Alliance as a great bunch of blokes (may or may not be true - I don't care!) NOT to promote H4H.

Why not just give to the cause, and not exploit it for aims that are irrelevant?
  8. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

Well, it's quite simple really. If you google 'help for heroes', you'll find a number of organisations, from charities, to political groups to commercial outfits all allying themselves with the Help for Heroes cause.

Why are they doing this? To a: show that their people support this worthy cause and b: to further promote the cause. All with the intention of raising the profile of themselves AND Help for Heroes, which in turn will raise more money through those outfits.

Is there a problem with that? No, only if the money stops coming in because Help for Heroes is no longer being advertised or promoted.
  9. Thread edited,

Keep the prejudiced preconceptions out of it , or this thread WILL get holed.

I know people who are very much anti-hunting, as I'm sure most of us do, who are also strong supporters of Forces causes and charities.

Conversely , would the inhabitants of Grays Lane Ashtead be more likely to be Sabs or supporters?

Don't generalise. As the point was made previously any donations made for H4H are important.
  10. Well done the Countryside Alliance and all hunts who are involved in collecting money for H4H.

The existence of the Countryside Alliance and all hunts relies on them raising funds for themselves. The fact that they are taking the time to raise funds for a forces charity at a time when they need to bolster their own bank balances, speaks volumes for them.

Pro hunting or anti, one can not hide from the fact that by being so generous with both their time and cash, these people are good eggs.

I won't hold my breath waiting for the League Against Cruel Sports, RSPCA etc to follow suit.
  11. CA, I don't like them, I don't want anything to do with them and I am afraid to say I would not be to keen on giving to a charity that had anything to do with them either (but then again my xmas cards come from the ABF)

12. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

I just decided I don't like you very much.
  13. Mate, theres a long queue, go to the counter, take a ticket and then go to the end. :twisted:

14. Care to share your point of view,reasons not to love them?
  15. Agreed. That comparison puts into perspective the attitude of, and confirms the credentials of, the Countryside Alliance, and confirms that they are in fact “good eggs”.

Any complaining or snipping says more about the people who disagree with the above, than it does about the Countryside Alliance.