Help for Heroes BBBR (update)

Discussion in 'REME' started by Shovel_Recce, Dec 11, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. As you are probably aware, I am taking part in the Big Battlefield Bike Ride next year, raising money for the H4H charity (see the sticky topic above).

I have been trying to secure a sponsorship with cycling shops to donate a bike or any other cycling equipment to me (I don't have any kit of my own as I am not a cyclist and I am on a tight budget) without much joy, until now.

A former RD CSM who owns his own cycling shop in Bordon, has kindly suggested that he is willing to help in what ever way he can although he can not donate a bike to me, he is willing to give a substantial discount.

A link to his shop is in my signature block.

Already, a number of Arrse users have donated money through my website, but if anyone has any old (or new) cycling gear i.e. helmet, shoes, puncture repair kits etc. they are willing to donate, it would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks for your continued support.

S_R

2. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

( Gents - plse excuse me barging into the nutstranglers empire)

Me too Shovel - looking forward to it. Haven't had the letter yet but spoke to the lovely ladies in Tidworth yesterday and they confirmed I have a place ( hoooo-ahhh!).

Although the list has now closed they are still looking for keen cyclists to accompany the riders on the last leg from Greenwich into Whitehall.

Got any training rides arranged yet ? I'm looking at a gentle 18 miler on Boxing Day across the New Forest ( yeah I know need to up the time and distance considerably :) )

Do Robin Cycles sponsor you or might they be willing to act as a source of spares and cycling advice to any Hants based H4H riders?
    ( official sponsors )

Apparentely Bryn Parry is sorting out an H4H cycling shirt as we speak.

Haven't got my Justgiving page sorted yet but I suspect there will be a bunch of people from Arrse on the same event.

Don Cabra

3. Out of interest, how much are these discounted bikes?

What would you do with it after the event

4. I am going into the shop (Robin Cycles) tomorrow to speak to the Gaffer (ex RD CSM), at present I have only been communicating to him via email, but he is very willing to help, so come tomorrow I will have a better idea of what he can offer.

I will ask him if he is willing to donate any spares to the event, as for advice, apparently he is a font of knowledge when it comes to peddle powered transportation, I on the other hand am a complete novice and am still without bike!!

I will keep you updated.

On the subject of the final leg of the cycle (Blackheath to Cenotaph), I organised a team who are going to cycle from reading to meet the BBBR, this was before my place was confirmed. They are looking forward to meeting us at the end of our epic journey!

S_R

PS. A big thankyou to shortarms who has kindly offered to give me 10 pucture repair kits. :D

5. 4 Bn used to have a racer bike in their sports store a couple of years ago, it may be worth giving the QM's dept a ring if you don't get any joy with Robin Cycles.

I don't know if anyone in here is at 4 Bn that could confirm this or not?

Good luck anyway.

T_M

6. S-R, I have a helmet you can borrow and a cycle shirt or two you can use (if they will fit)! I might have to buy a new one to join you at blackheath!!!

:eek:

7. Thanks Viking, any help greatly recieved!

S_R

8. No problem. Let me know when you want them. PM me with details!!

9. Hope you are going to wash them first Viking! (PHOOOWEEE!!) :D

10. Yuk. Yuk! of course not!

:eek:

11. Thank you to Gundog for his support/sponsorship.

S_R

12. Hi again!

I have finally got my bike. The former RD CSM at Robin Cycles in Bordon did me a cracking deal on a Kona Jake (2008 model), 50% discount not bad eh!

I have just been for my first training cycle, a meer 10 miles (felt more like 20), now the whole event thing has a whole new prospective. I will be cycling up to 75 mile a day for 7 days, so I better get my finger out! lol

Again I would like to thank everyone for their continued support, the sponsorship money is slowly creeping up but I am still a fair way off my target of £2000.

Now that the festive season is over for another year, if you have a spare coupl of bob then why not give a little to help the heroes who give a lot for the rest of us!

13. Hows the training going S_R?

Have you got a sore ARRSE from miles in the saddle :wink:

14. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

Hope training's going well Shovel...bit of good news from H4H:

Good news....but don't stop donating peeeps....LO_O_O_ONG way to go !

keep up at the back there Shoves :-D

( a phrase which may well come to haunt me in France......)

G'Man