Help For Heroes - Andover Collection ?

Discussion in 'REME' started by Goatman, Mar 27, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

Hi folks,

like Shovel-Recce, I'm doing the Big Battlefield Bike Ride in May for Help For Heroes

I'm hoping to do a street collection in sunny Andover next month to raise money for H4H.

Hopefully most people are by now aware of Help For Heroes but if not here's a few lines from an earlier post:

Around the country , 300 people are getting out on their bikes and training steadily for the H4H Big Battlefield Bike Ride which takes place from 26th May to 1st of June to raise money for Help For Heroes.

Over 100 of those taking part are serving personnel.

The main aim of the charity right now is to raise money to build a new full-size swimming pool at the Defence Medical Rehabilitation Centre at Headley Court.

Some of you may have been there, some may have loved ones who have been through DMRC Some here may not know much about the work which is carried out at Headley Court.

Excellent article on the work of Headley Court a while back HERE:
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/arts/main.jhtml?xml=/arts/2007/08/25/sm_soldiers25.xml

Help for Heroes is a non-political organisation. This is what Chief of the General Staff Sir Richard Dannatt said about H4H:
    Finally, please take 5 minutes to look at the H4H Gallery here:

http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/hcgallery.html

My own target is to raise £2,000 as my contribution to this excellent cause. Anything YOU can do to help me get there would be very much appreciated.

So...I'm looking for a slack handful of volunteers who are handy for Andover and may be able to spare a couple of hours to join me shaking my tin. Anyone available second weekend in April ? Date TBC but PROBABLY 12th.

If you fancy it, please PM me for more info.

many thanks,

Goats

2. Why don't you contact someone at 6Batt to help you with some manpower. There must be someone from there lurking about on this.

3. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

good idea Blaze.

( I'm also rather hoping that some of the folk I used to work with in DLO may see this !)

G'man

4. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

Thanks Shovel - appreciate the <BUMP>. I've been away from a PC for a few days too.

The Andover street collection will take place TOMORROW.....and at this rate I may well be a lonely solo tin-rattler :D

Fellow Arrsers in the area ,even if you cant be arrsed to rattle a tin, pop down and say hello !

My training is pants thanks.

I've done a few 40 milers across the Forest and some shorter local routes but despite connecting with a few people who ride locally I have yet to get really stuck in on a regular enough basis - must try harder or come May I'm in the clart !

Best I've done in the last month is a Half Marathon with .dolly two weeks ago - not sure if that counts though :oops:

Good luck with your trg S-R,

Don Cabra