Help for Halfwit, please

Discussion in 'Gaming and Software' started by Micawber, Jun 26, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I've just bought a PC from a friend to replace my tiny minded, snail paced laptop and all is well except some things are being blocked when on line - the avatars and background colours on Arrse for example.

It says Windows 2003 on most things so I assume that is what it is using, is there a simple filter or something I can turn off?

Mllaaarrr

2. Windows server 2003 ?

3. You see, you've done me already. It uses word 2003 but I suppse that isn't relevant is it?
    For the net I'm using Google Chrome.

4. maguire

maguire LE Book Reviewer

well, if you cant even tell people what OS you're using, with the best will in the world we're going to struggle.

if you go to the Start icon in the bottom left of the screen, then click on 'control panel' and then go to 'system' within that that should say what you're using and what you have there.

5. Sounds like you have brought a right lemon! I'm not sure Windows server 2003 is still supported by Microsoft.

Best advice is use your laptop and plot your revenge on you friend.

If you have a spare £230 you should buy yourself a netbook and download Open Office.

6. Microsoft Windows XP, Home Edition, Version 2002, Service Pack 2

Hope this helps

7. From albimangles:
    "First download Windows XP Service Pack 3"

Seconded. Plus get every hardware and software update you can find for your kit. And some biccies and a brew to tide you over while you are waiting.

Tam

8. Sixty

Sixty LE Moderator Book Reviewer
    1. ARRSE Cyclists and Triathletes

For the bolded bit above; you haven't accidentally clicked on the 'work safe' mode on Arrse have you?

That blocks the avatars and makes the background white.

9. Personally I think Microsoft Security Essentials is just as good if not better than the free version of AVG. So MSE plus an updated Windows Firewall should be enough with MAlwarebites hanging around as well.

10. Yes, you need to protect yourself from Mlaaaarrrrrware mate.

11. hey i was just wondering if any could help me with this. Im from Australia and want to join the army but because of the few postions available and large amount of people applying for the position it iits pretty hard to get into or if you do there is usually a long waiting line. What i want to know is if you guys think it would be a good idea to try out for the British army?

Let me know

12. You failed on

Aptitude (why ask us you should have the ability to find out yourself)
    Initiative (see above)
    Logic (Asking this question on the computer section of the forum is illogical)

13. Albi,

If you check out the thread title, I think you will find he has selected the most appropriate place to ask his questions.

Shiny