Help for a Mother PLEASE!!

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by hollywood 1, Aug 9, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. My son served the first Gulf War with the Scots Guards, and now lives in America with his American wife. He has severe back problems, and has been told by his Dr. that he needs an operation. He has no Health Insurance so that's a no-no. I've tried our local Dr. and he say's that irrespective that he served during the Gulf War, an operation in this country is not an option because he now lives overseas. Can anyone out there help me please. I'm under such stress as to what to do next??????
    Many thanks,
    A Mum

2. Royal British Legion are your best bet.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Echo the RBL are a good bet.

BUT

Living in the US with no health insurance? That's a bit daft IMO...

• Like Like x 1
  4. elovabloke

elovabloke LE Moderator

Contact your MP if you feel that the injury was as a direct result from military service to see if he/she can help. If its not, just a normal medical condition that requires treatment then to access the NHS I think he will need to be in this country as he would for either case.

5. May be daft but has he tried the local VA ? They might just have some rule that allows them to help...?

6. elovabloke

elovabloke LE Moderator

Or SSAFA but I am not sure how many caseworkers they have stateside.

7. Has he still got a British passport?

If not i don't think you can do much, my brother in law lives in the philipines and gave his passport up AND then started on about coming home.

8. Try his Regimental Association too, in fact, try veterans uk, ssafa and anyone else you can think of, can't do any harm can it?

9. I think it's probably easiest to come back here if he can.

• Like Like x 3
  10. NAAFI BAR, sensible answers... hmmmm. :clap:

Well done to all.

11. I've been sat patiently waiting hehehe.

12. So, basically, another health tourist?

13. I'm an amateur surgeon, I mostly do plastic surgery but I'd be willing to give it a crack.

14. He's after a back operation, not a sex change ;-)

• Like Like x 2
  15. Doesn't everyone get "Obamacare" in the states now even if you don't have private insurance?