Help finding the right models: Home Guard

I'm looking for some models for a new army, and I'm not having much luck.

As the title would suggest what I am after is Home Guard models, in 28mm (1/56) and I'm seriously struggling to find any that fit my needs. It seems to be in part me being a picky git, but there are a few main issues.

1: Home Guard models seem to fall into one of two groups. The first is best described by the phrase "LOL Dads Army! *licks windows*" and is either entirely based around that show, or at least the concepts suggested by it. These immediately get binned as I want a proper historical Home Guard, which leads us nicely onto:

2: Rifles. I'll accept I may being picky sod here, but nearly all the models seem to be armed with SMLE's, not P.14's. If I wanted them with bloody SMLE's I'd just buy the relevant mid war infantry models! In this category it seems the best options are 1st Corps and or Foundry.

The easiest way at current is to get Warlords games plastics, some P.14's from god knows where, and switch out the hats. But it seems like its going to be impossible to do that.

So if anyone knows of any 28mm home guard, with P.14's (and in this non-existent range there's a Z-projector as well...) can you please point me in the right direction?
Thanks!

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
Sorry if I sounded blunt, it really wasn't my intention. I do appreciate the attempt at helping, as I'm being crap (and badly out of date!).

Do we need to hug it out?
I think as modellers our rep is bad enough, without talking about hugging each other :oops:

I think as modellers our rep is bad enough, without talking about hugging each other :oops:
Don’t you like foreplay?

Solutions have appeared. I'll keep on updating this should anyone else suffer the same problem.

After discussing matters with a Uniform expert I know we came up with a two solutions

1: Use WWII Indian models as they were armed with P.17's. They'd need head-swaps most likely, but little other work. And galloping over the hill is the same problems that afflicted the Home Guard choice. The models don't exist (Most 28mm is Chindit's), and the few Indian models that are kicking about are 8th Army with shorts on, and armed with SMLE's.

2: First world War US models. Right rifles, Right HMG's, if you're really lucky there's BAR's and Lewis guns. The only modifications needed are lengthening the trousers, and making them more baggy, shortening the tunics and a bit of re-work on the webbing. The obvious answer to this is to cut the WWI US models in half at the waist and replace with WWII British legs.

Now for such major work I'd prefer plastics, but alas these don't seem available, but there are a few metal options.

Warlord do a plastic British infantry pack with webbing pouches separate as well.

The observant amongst you will have noticed that the US blokes are armed with Chauchat LMG's. Well here's the separate Lewis guns, so it shouldn't be too hard to do the work.

If you fancy using a 3D printer you can also get a file for the guns:

So Unless I can find a better match or options I fear this is the way I'm going.

Solutions have appeared. I'll keep on updating this should anyone else suffer the same problem.

After discussing matters with a Uniform expert I know we came up with a two solutions

1: Use WWII Indian models as they were armed with P.17's. They'd need head-swaps most likely, but little other work. And galloping over the hill is the same problems that afflicted the Home Guard choice. The models don't exist (Most 28mm is Chindit's), and the few Indian models that are kicking about are 8th Army with shorts on, and armed with SMLE's.

2: First world War US models. Right rifles, Right HMG's, if you're really lucky there's BAR's and Lewis guns. The only modifications needed are lengthening the trousers, and making them more baggy, shortening the tunics and a bit of re-work on the webbing. The obvious answer to this is to cut the WWI US models in half at the waist and replace with WWII British legs.

Now for such major work I'd prefer plastics, but alas these don't seem available, but there are a few metal options.

Warlord do a plastic British infantry pack with webbing pouches separate as well.

The observant amongst you will have noticed that the US blokes are armed with Chauchat LMG's. Well here's the separate Lewis guns, so it shouldn't be too hard to do the work.

If you fancy using a 3D printer you can also get a file for the guns:

So Unless I can find a better match or options I fear this is the way I'm going.

Some more WW1 Americans here, 25mm though.

Latest Threads