HELP - Defender 90 rear door locked shut.

Discussion in 'Cars, Bikes 'n AFVs' started by SONAR-BENDER, Nov 27, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi Chaps!

Well, I've just spent hours trawling the interweb and cannot find a solution to my problem, which is, the rear door is locked shut and will not open under any circumstances.

The car is a 52 Defender 90 Station Wagon. Spare wheel is on the door, but hinges etc seem to be OK, in fact everything was OK up to a few hours ago!

I was in and out of the wagon using the rear door normally, shut it, went to open it later and nada. I managed to climb into the back armed with a persuader, then a bigger persuader and some WD40, but nothing.

I'm sure some of you MUST have had this happen in the past, so please offer any ideas.

The current plan is to try and get the rear door card off from the inside with the door shut - is this even possible? If so, how do I go about it?

2. Hit it with a hammer. Honest, it is most likely the central locking solenoid that has stuck not the lock. (I presume you have had a go with the key).
    The other way is to push the body by the sides near the long oval back windows some times that works I believe as they are a tight fit sometimes and can snag. I saw LR workers helping rear doors to fit on the track with a scaffold tube, expertly mind!
    • Like Like x 2
  3. is this the older model with the little flick up & down lock latch on the inside ? if so, sometimes the spring can break on the latch & it wont allow you lock or unlock it. Only way to get at it is to take of the mechanisum drill out the rivits and put a new spring inside.
    be carefull it the door lineing is fibreboard, they break easy. you just need to carefully lever it away till you see the plastic push fit's that hold it to the door frame. Lever close to them gently & they will pop out and just work your way along till you have them all off. ONLY do this if its an older Landy. If its a newer bread see above post.
  4. Happened to mine after a period of bouncy bouncy and I'd foolishly left the spare wheel on the LR-supplied bracket many years ago. As the marmoset above says, the tiny locking lever is likely to be at fault, try his solution. Otherwise, hit it with a mallet.
  5. Mine did that some years ago. Damned if I can remember how we fixed it, but did.

6. Ravers

Ravers LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Something going wrong on a Landy?

I simply don't believe it.

You must be a liar.
    • Like Like x 4
  7. a large hammer should do it, sounds like mechanism has seized.
  8. Do you mean to your head ?
    • Like Like x 1
  9. no i mean my penis, the one you was dribbling over last night baby.
  10. I think there is a little spring on the door mech that breaks and causes non opening doors.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Yip, same happened to both mine...door lining off, you will see a wee brass/bronze rod...pull/push it and the door will open.
  12. Thanks for all the replies so far!

Looks like a bigger hammer is needed!
  13. Hi Guys – thanks again to all who offered ideas. This is what happened. The Landy is a TD5 and the rear door was locked solid. Obviously I’d checked remote, child lock, central locking etc. Also rattling the door, locking and unlocking and some brute force from the inside, but the hooky thing would not move from the locking pin. So...... in case this happens to you.....

Armed with some basic tools I clambered into the back, removed the grab bar and then took the door card off not very easy. This allowed me access to the actual lock and central locking mechanism, however, there was nothing else I could do. So I had to take off the striker plate from the rear inside of the door frame – not easy with the door and lock in situ. Even then the door would not open. Undid the 4 bolts holding the lock in and managed to wiggle the lock and handles through the hole and get the door open. Said door is now held closed by heavy duty luggage straps.

The lock is riveted so I cannot get in there to see what has broken, but is absolutely locked solid – with the striker plate still locked on! I have tried to persuade it to open but no joy. Also, despite the excellent photos in the Haynes manual (!) I do not seem to have a pin on the key barrel, so might not be able to salvage my cylinder.

Just off to the Landy garage now to see how much they want for a new lock – then back home and onto e-bay to see how cheap I can get one on there!
  14. This seems a reasonably cheap solution