HELP.....APTITUDE NEXT WEEK

Discussion in 'Aviation' started by pa38, Mar 28, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. 8O Hi all...of to cranwell next week for aptitude for the air corps and feel very underprepared i just dont know what to expect and have been brushed of with my continuous questions on how to prepare...go in blind i have been told and the fact that you hold a ppl with about sixty hours means absolutely nothing...is this true am i wasting my time? I know how this site works so i expect the usual sarcasim but anyone with helpfull or usefull advice would be much appreciated....i wait with baited breath.

2. I only ever did Cranwell when I wanted to join the crabs *shudder* (everyone is allowed one mistake in their life)

Basically it's all done on acorns and it covers several things. You'll never know exactly what thing you're going to get, as they do run different tests for different boards, just to mix it up, but they all have a general theme (so I've heard and I've done it twice, failed once... fcuking crabs)

Hand eye coordination - Stream of dots come down the page and you have to move a joystick from side to side to try and hit as many as possible. Next one you have crosshairs and the joystick does up and down, rudder pedals do left and right, you have to try and keep a dot in crosshairs as it gets bumped about. Best practice you can do is flight simulators, turn the joystick round occasionally to get used to push forward for up (way it is done, or was done, on the programs)

Instrument reading - Reading instruments accurately, up to several at a time, Altimeter and air speed etc and multiple guess on the right answer. Best practice again is a flight simulator, learn a cockpit, what the instruments mean and how to read them

Spatial stuff - A plane is shown pointing different ways and tilted, you have to say if it's North, East etc and it's angle of attack. Try and imagine a plane in a room and turn it round and round and work out which way the nose is pointing and how much the wings are to one side and whether the nose is up or down. Flight simulator could help

Digit recall: Normally two tests (I had two), one is more pressure than the other. Basically about 5 seconds to memorise a sequence and then you have to type it out again. Up to 14 or 16 numbers (ouch). Best thing is to learn how to recall numbers: 631904 is "six hundrend and thirty one, nine hundred and four" or "sixty three, nineteen, four", it means you remember less numbers.

Table reading: what it says on the tin. Get used to reading tables quickish and accurately

Multitasking: You may have seen jeremey clarkson playing this one: coloured dots fly across screen and when they enter a bar of the same colour you have to push a button that is that colour. At the same time you have simple maths stuff to do: 4 X 6 etc. At the same time they're giving you a 5 of 6 letter sequence up for a length of time (6 seconds?), gone for 12 seconds and then you have to multiple guess out of 4 choices. All the time everything else is going on for 4 mins, it hurts.
    Other task is you get bars moving at different speeds. As a bar reaches the end it is worth more. If it reaches the end without being "banked" it's lost. You have up to nine bars moving at different speeds and you need to get as many points as possible. Get quick with the numberpad on your keyboard.

Maths: a 45/60 second task answering as many questions as you can as quickly and accurately as you can. Just practice your simple addition and subtraction, multiplication etc. Get quick at it.
    Distance = speed X time calculations. Learn the variations of this. Generally 24 questions to do in 25mins and they can get quite hard.

Spatial something else: A ship travels 700454miles from A North and ship B travels 343 south and then 4654654 west, how far are they apart? That kind of thing. Just learn how to imagine things in your head or use your fingers to plot. Also learn 3,4,5 triangles (pythag)

3d cube box thing: hell on a stick. A cube with arrows on 6 sides, a circle on one and something else on the other. You have to put this unfolded cube together in your head, twizzle it round til all the sides are like the one shown and then work out which way the arrow on top points. Hard as anything, no idea how to learn, I sucked.

Verbal reasoning.: you'll have a wee bit of verbal reasoning stuff, can't remember exactly what, but basically "true" "false" "don't know" answers.

Overall just try and relax, take your alloted time on tasks you're not marked on how quick (or how many). Use your breaks to wind down. Make sure you drink whilst at cranwell, it can be hard to get enough liquids in which messes with your brain. There used to be a coke machine which is good as well as liquid cos of sugar. Try and prepare but at the end of the day part of it comes down to how your brain works. If you don't get pilot don't take it too personally, they may offer you something else. Some are born for it, some aren't (I passed aptitude but got screwed on other things).

I hope that helps, I'm sure I've forgotten the occasional thing but basically some of it will be a surprise, do your best and don't have too high hopes.

3. They do a spelling and grammar test.

You're fucked.

4. How very odd. There's a chap in your position posting for assistance over on Pprune. From his profile he appears to be aged 30 - bit old for OASC I'd have thought. (Unless it's another typo).

Pprune post

He seems to have the same grammatical and compositional problems that you suffer from; perhaps you should seek him out, and compare notes.

BTW, if you'd taken the time to dig into the Military board over on Pprune, you'd have seen many pages of advice and tips for aspirants, and saved yourself a bit of savaging from the likes of Flash.

Bon chance.

(And yes, before you ask, I have done OASC too. In 1977. It doesn't seem to have changed too much).

5. The services will generally require that you have APTITUDE as a life skill.

Not just next week! 8O

6. I have done the tests at cranwell you are asking about. But like crabby, it was for the RAF.

Alot of it is to do with hand eye co-ordination and your reaction times. I'm not sure if you can 'revise' for something like that but if you have access to a flight simulator programme, that may help you to hone your skills a bit. Look at what crabby has said as I can't remember half the stuff I was tested on. I do recall the dots on the screen one, having to move the joystick and the foot pedals at the same time tho. I managed to do that one quite easily.

What I will say is, don't worry about the aptitude test and worry more about your interview. After I did my apptitude tests, I was brought in and asked what I wanted to do. Basically offered any job i wanted because I had scored so highly. Unfortunately, My quest to fly helicopters was stopped in it's tracks as they did not like my interview. They said at 23 I was too old and set in my ways. That's the RAF for you.

Hmmm, maybe it was for the best. Could you imagine the skys being a safe place with an oirish midget with a firey temper at the controls.

I think not ;)

7. The two ppls when I did mine failed(and they laughed at my 100hrs gliding!). Not that I wish to worry you.

8. My advice is to know your way around the numbers pad of a keyboard, then when you get the numbers recall test you can concentrate on the number and not the firkin keybaord.

Also you may want to with play around with MS Flight Sim a bit as this will help you to read aircraft instruments in anticipation of the instrument reading assesment.

9. I passed the aptitude tests for the RN a few years ago. Your PPL will make no difference. If you have good hand eye coordination and can hold your own at mental arithmetic you should do fine. I'd imagine the Army, Navy and RAF tests are all pretty similar. I think the best advice I was given was to try and relax.

Things not to do:

Get pissed in the bar the night before watching Top Gun with a bunch of Crab Wannabes that can tell you each line of the film 3 seconds before it's said and who stand up and play air guitar to the theme tune.

Get so worried about it that you can't sleep and feel so tired in the morning that you need ten cups of coffee, after which your chances of being smooth with the controls are somewhat f*cked.

Listen to the loudmouth plane spotter who says it's all a 'piece of piss' as his name's actually Tom Cruise Von Richthofen.

Anyway, Good Luck!

10. Whats all this Cranwell stuff? You were LUCKY!

We did it at Biggin Hill, we stayed in a tin hut, had stale bread fer dinner, well.. I say bread ... t'was cardboard...

Got up before we went t'bed... did 10 miler in the snow... did tests outside in the blizzards.. apptitude? More like murder it were!

Trouble is ... noone ever believes us.

11. That twer luxury Scorrpy, when I did Biggin we had t'live in shoe box round t'back of guardhut.

pa38..........your ppl will stand for absolutely nothing, indeed it can often work against you.......getting rid of bad habits and all that.

12. pa38 you weren't 'brushed off' in your previous post. Genuine advice was offered to you. As has been mentioned enough times there is plenty of material here and elsewhere if you really want to do some work of your own. As has also been said before you can't prepare for aptitude as it studies inherent ability (hence the term, 'APTITUDE'......) You are beginning to sound like you're flapping quite hard and haven't even taken the first step. Save the flapping until later in the course when you bump into someone like Flash who can determine your entire career based on whether or not his moustache is sufficiently bristly that morning!

Man up wet pants.

13. Junglynx , thanks for that .. made me larf sommat wicked!

14. I too went to Biggin Hill, blimey that was an age ago. My advice would be to get your body to the Museum of Army Flying as they have a few of the aptitude tests on display and your allowed to have a go.