HELP!! Anyone know any sites to help autistic 4 year old???

Discussion in 'Professionally Qualified, RAMC and QARANC' started by MrsWhiteBear, May 6, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi, I have recently undertaken a job as Special Needs Assistant looking after a 4 year old with suspected autism. In a bid to make both our lives more interesting I am on the hunt for worksheets, flashcards etc . Does anyone have any ideas of relevant sites on the net that I can get infor/ print stuff off from??

2. DRTL website

You'll probably find this useful, but be aware that there are some differences in the way autistic students are taught to the US.

3. Pen and paper ready.....
    www.do2learn.com
    do2learn has all the widgit pecs symbols and downloads 98% of needs and communication prompts.
    www.nas.org.uk
    Need any more then please contact me via pm

4. Hi, MrsWhiteBear,
    I haven't been involved with kiddies as young as 4 years old (and I don't know the extent of your understanding of this condition). However, it seems to me, that the key is to get some understanding of how the child sees the world. I come from a family in which most of us seem to be somewhere on the autistic spectrum. I would suggest you do some Google searches, such as "Simon Baron-Cohen" ..... an authority on autism, "neurotypical" ....... a (derogatory?) term used by those on the autistic spectrum to describe those who are NOT and, maybe,

http://www.aspiesforfreedom.com/index.php

there are a lot of websites out there.

5. MWB, I have a son with Aspergers and have had a bit of experience in dealing with all maner of issues that come with it. If you need any help, please PM me