Help an American

Of interest was the 44 bottle easier than the 58 bottle to remove replace when kit was wet?
Yes - because allyness saves lives as we all know, and therefore a '44 bottle and mug would be in a '44 pooch (as my CSgt called it) and therefore be released from confinement by popping the 'press the dot' things.

In reality I often used a '44 mug in the bottom of a '58 pooch, with a '58 bottle inserted upside down - it was very easy to remove then, apart from the faff with the buckle.

Only an issue during CFTs etc - that was when you would ask the nearest Tom to pull it for you and you would find out how much respect/popularity you had garnered by whether it miraculously stayed in his hands as he handed it over...

The best bit of 58 pattern webbing, apart from being really uncomfortable to wear, horrible when wet is that you could only just about get an issue doss bag in the large pack. Non essentials like rations etc ended up stuffed into any pocket or space you had :) .
But by fook did the Pattern 58 webbing belt make you look ‘ard, especially if worn over a jumper with lightweights!

StBob072

LE
Book Reviewer
Yes - because allyness saves lives as we all know, and therefore a '44 bottle and mug would be in a '44 pooch (as my CSgt called it) and therefore be released from confinement by popping the 'press the dot' things.

In reality I often used a '44 mug in the bottom of a '58 pooch, with a '58 bottle inserted upside down - it was very easy to remove then, apart from the faff with the buckle.

Only an issue during CFTs etc - that was when you would ask the nearest Tom to pull it for you and you would find out how much respect/popularity you had garnered by whether it miraculously stayed in his hands as he handed it over...

Try fitting everything round you when you have a 24 inch waist.

Those were the days. :-(

Does the 44 pattern mug fit the 58 pattern water bottle?

just noticed on the Ebay
"belt sizes 32-34" so totally unsuitable for you guys over the pond,
sorry about that lads,

Welcome, by the way.
Naow, now missus. Our Jarrod has the right of first refusal. Don't go fluttering those eyelids at the Yank.:police:

StBob072

LE
Book Reviewer
Naow, now missus. Our Jarrod has the right of first refusal. Don't go fluttering those eyelids at the Yank.:police:
Trust me, I'm not in the business of fluttering.

And J is too old (at 30) for any transatlantic botty bromance.

Truxx

LE
You are confusing the 'B2 Gun Team' of '80s Ballymurphy/Falls/Whiterock infamy with later, larger calibre murderers I think.
Probably. I do know lots of effort went into trying to find both iterations. Meanwhile UK was having its latest in a regular series of tiffs with our friends over the pond.

Gents call me a pedant but surely at the time it was “warry” rather than “ally”!!

YM

XPara Mugg

War Hero
Does the 44 pattern mug fit the 58 pattern water bottle?
Not all of them. Most (that I saw) had a pronounced lip which was too wide to fit the 58 pouch. Although a 58 bottle fitted in upright and fine.
1586466247356.png

Some struggled with it, others sawed/clipped the rim off. I chose to gently hammer it back to vertical. All then stylishly accessorised with rubber electrical tape; to reduce lip burn. I recall mine was yellow and red. Never came off due to being 'welded' in place by heat from hexi. I suppose I had it for about 15 years

Of course it had to be hidden during QM/CQMS's and other hygiene inspections.

I also removed the buckle and fitted a 'lift the dot' closure. That way it could be easily identified among the other four waterbottle pouches on my belt order.

Ally; moi?

ExREME..TECH

On ROPS
On ROPs
Hey fellas new guy from across the pond. I've worked with some UK army types in the states at Fort Polk for JRTC and inIraq back in 08. I have a question regarding y'all's kit. I am interested in switching to a webbing type setup like you guys wear. My question is where to start? Also is Marauder a good brand of kit. Sorry for the lack of an into, I didn't see any thread requiring it.
A Yank wants help
Let me work it out
1941 - 1939 = 2
I will answer this question in 2022

Last edited:

ExREME..TECH

On ROPS
On ROPs
Being that it's condor gear... I wouldn't have either. I'm interested in the concept. Switched to the National Guard as a WSL so no one really hassles me about it. I might as well give the concept a shot.
Any WSL who spent any time at JRTC should think that not being able to low crawl into the SBF ought to rate at least a swift kick in the ass.

Wearing a low-rider gansta copy of MOLLe, which was a poor evolution of ALICE in the form of a weight lifting belt with suspenders and uncovered mag pouches on your belly isn't exactly conducive to your ability to move between areas of cover and concealment undetected, and doesn't make any more sense than wearing uncovered mags half-way up your chest.

Then again, neither is a plate and carrier, so probably not a great idea to add extra to that up front either.

Also, I may have smacked my head a few times after exiting various taxis before ye old road marches, so your mileage may vary. As to mileage, Large Alice, LC2, and myself have put in thousands of miles together.

Next you will probably be trying to sell us the 2021 Nasty Girl GI Sagging Calendar with you in it as SGT September showing off your whale tale and tramp stamp.

Latest Threads