Help an American

And should he perspire he shall not perspire without a libation. Yeah... No... It's a dismounted machine gun section equivalent.

What is your biggest threat in your current role, blast or projectile?

The reason I ask is that studies of the casualties in the most recent conflicts found that putting equipment on your chest plate aided in protection from projectiles but greatly increased the injuries from blast due to additional frag.

It could be wise the leave the kit on your chest.

chrisg46

LE
Book Reviewer
If you are on facebook, look up Coopers Kit Corner. Its a private group but its a good place for kit freaks.

Daxx

MIA
Book Reviewer

The Rolls Royce of webbing though make sure you get the large pack as well, its far superior to any other backpack and as its name says 'large'.
The best bit of 58 pattern webbing, apart from being really uncomfortable to wear, horrible when wet is that you could only just about get an issue doss bag in the large pack. Non essentials like rations etc ended up stuffed into any pocket or space you had :) .

What is your biggest threat in your current role, blast or projectile?

The reason I ask is that studies of the casualties in the most recent conflicts found that putting equipment on your chest plate aided in protection from projectiles but greatly increased the injuries from blast due to additional frag.

It could be wise the leave the kit on your chest.
The minute chance of my plate not stopping a round is not enough to overcome my fatigue in my back, and hips, and neck is not enough for me to want to keep it there. Not being snarky genuinely curious: do you have a study or some sort of official report to back that? I mean if it's good sense rumor that's fine but I'd like to be able to read more and be informed before I drop all that coin.

Truxx

LE
The minute chance of my plate not stopping a round is not enough to overcome my fatigue in my back, and hips, and neck is not enough for me to want to keep it there. Not being snarky genuinely curious: do you have a study or some sort of official report to back that? I mean if it's good sense rumor that's fine but I'd like to be able to read more and be informed before I drop all that coin.
The thing about it is that its horses for courses. The thing about anything Brit is that the word " uniform" is something from which you select what suits whatever you are up to. It is not a word that means "everyone is the same". So if you are in and out of a vehicle you might be suited in one way, whereas if you are on your feet 90% of the time for days on end another set up would be better.

In that regard a decent 58 pattern belt kit with a decent bergan takes some beating.

I was never sure about camelbacks. Having one would mean missing the hours of fun trying to get the water bottle back into the soggy pouch which you inevitably put round the side of the belt because that was the only place it would fit.

The thing about it is that its horses for courses. The thing about anything Brit is that the word " uniform" is something from which you select what suits whatever you are up to. It is not a word that means "everyone is the same". So if you are in and out of a vehicle you might be suited in one way, whereas if you are on your feet 90% of the time for days on end another set up would be better.

In that regard a decent 58 pattern belt kit with a decent bergan takes some beating.

I was never sure about camelbacks. Having one would mean missing the hours of fun trying to get the water bottle back into the soggy pouch which you inevitably put round the side of the belt because that was the only place it would fit.
Yeah we have a very similar mindset about gear being suited to the role. I'm in a light infantry role. I walk everywhere I go besides getting to and from the training site. Over seas I would do the same however I would be ferried via truck or bird to a drop off and then hump it to the objective. I am picking up what y'all are putting down and I appreciate it. I already use a "battle belt" to spread the load as much as I can. I carry two rifle mags (of 6) multi tool, medical, compass, NVG, and some small minor first aid. All of that would find a new home. As far as a camelback goes I carry a three liter in my rucksack (Bergen) and a two liter on the back of my plate carrier. That way I have plenty of water for the approach march. I also carry two two quart canteens on the outside of my ruck so I'm not worried about that. I'm more worried about my back and being able to haul all of my gear in one piece of gear.

4(T)

LE
I was never sure about camelbacks.

It seemed to me that there was a direct correlation between the appearance of camelbacks and clones, and the surge in D&V epidemics in units. No doubt tubes and mouthpieces not being disinfected sufficiently.

Daxx

MIA
Book Reviewer
Personally, I refrained from putting anything on my body armour front molle loops whereas my boss at the time copied a trend of having their pistol there. I worked on the principle if I was on my belt buckle the stuff on the chest would be harder to access and raise my profile.

Personally, I refrained from putting anything on my body armour front molle loops whereas my boss at the time copied a trend of having their pistol there. I worked on the principle if I was on my belt buckle the stuff on the chest would be harder to access and raise my profile.
And yet another reason y'all's kit caught my eye. I am on my belly +/- 70% of any operation. I lead my platoons dedicated support by fire element.

The best bit of 58 pattern webbing, apart from being really uncomfortable to wear, horrible when wet is that you could only just about get an issue doss bag in the large pack.
Strapped to the top of the Larry Largepack - Shirley

Main compartment could not be accessed when steel topie was strapped in position.

Which left the 2 mahoosive side pouches. which were large enough to house a single packet of Hard Tack in each one.

Oh yes - The 58 pattern Larry was the business :D :D

Mr Happy

LE
An alternative is to go to webbing in SAA order (2x Ammo, 1xWater, 1xRespirator) and EVERYTHING else goes into a day sack / large day sack / Bergan. I don't recall this being common BUT I seem to remember it being an option (maybe I am thinking back to my Recce days??).

Jesus Lord Almighty you are a sarcastic lot...I thought the US Army was bad about it. Lol. Allow me to refine my question then. If I wanted to get into using a webbing belt type setup and don't want to waste money on bullshit cheap airsoft gear, where do I start looking. What brands? What sorts of harnesses and belts work best? What sort of price point do I need to be looking at? And What the actual **** is a PLCE? basically I wanna get the load of my chest and around my waist. Where do I start?
MTP Osprey/Virtus official MOD surplus from eBay. You can get the full range of Osprey pouches for about 35 pounds, add to it the MTP yolk and a roll pin belt, then you can customise as much as you like for the task. Oh and a hip pad. (If you use MOD surplus, you know it will be robust and IRR proof, unlike all the airsoft Walter kit)
Like this....

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
You could ask @Auld-Yin if he's got his first issue
Hey! He's nicked my sponge!
We were well 'ard in my time with the colours. Nowt wrong with a bit o' pipe clay webbing to be getting on.
Boer War soldier.jpg

Nothing that can be released to the public, although that sounds quite melodramatic the evidence included names, dates, locations etc.

What I can say was the investigations were conducted by our joint UK/USA Weapons Intelligence Sections. Hence the reason all the EOD and Search teams were advised to remove any hard equipment from the front of their body armour. Similarly the Infantry were advised to carry their magazines on a chest rig. The issue is to reduce the blunt force trauma from SAA and lessen the effect of large calibre rounds.

Latest Threads