Help/Advice needed

Discussion in 'The Book Club' started by Chef, Jul 12, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. My old man snuffed it last year, long expected, no dramas.

What he left behind is about five to six thousand books. They range from pre-war stuff onwards, paperbacks and hardbacks. Much of it is theatrical stuff.

Does anyone know of or can recommend a bookish type person who can go through it and value it? A lot of it is charity shop material,some isn't but I wouldn't know which is which. I have his copy of Lt Col A.D.Wintle's book 'The last Englishman' value somewhere between 60 and 120 quid; if only a small percentage is of a like value it will keep my ma in sherry for quite a while.

The house is in north London, I am available for lifting and shifting, and if necessary accomodation is also available.

PM me or post contact points please.

2. Books are fickle. They go up and down in value like a whore's drawers. The 1/6 (old money) paperback that's valued at 30p today could be worth £30 next year.

Once you get rid of them, NEVER check the value of any of them. You will cry.

As an example, look at Devil's Guard: Used and New: Devil's Guard
    Last year, when I looked, the cheapest you could get it was £44. Now, they're going for as little as £5.31 including delivery. (or as much as £82.80 if you get it from the dealer who evidently hasn't noticed the global price drop).
    I'm glad I bought mine from WH Smith.
  3. Thanks for that, I appreciate that values may go down as well as up, but it would be nice to have a reliable bloke on the case.

I had a copy of The devil's guard, and I still have The forgotten soldier and Mr Hassel's various novels.

I could be rich!
  4. A bit labourious but you could look the titles up on Amazon and get a rough idea of price. Otherwise Foyles might help??
  5. I'll give you 20p for them! Sven Hassel is a genious. He inspired me to join the ATC in 1982!
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Sometimes you can get a decent bloke on the off chance by visiting classified sites like craigslist.
    I got a MTB relatively easy on craigslist, mind you it's also got a lot of mongs on it too.
  7. Mr Happy

Mr Happy LE Moderator

Have you tried advertising on Craigs List for a book cataloger person? Paid in percentage of realization?
  8. udipur

udipur LE Book Reviewer

Had a chum who made a mint restoring these books by hand and flogging them to special collectors. Sounds a lot harder than it is, once you pick out the nice lining and get the glue mix right.

You wouldn't have any books by J.R. Hartley, by any chance? Saw a bloke looking for one.