Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by dml87, May 18, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Does the para helmet have the same ballistic protection as the MK6
  2. Theres a thread about this somewhere else. Answer is apparently YES, for para helmets made after a certain date.
  3. The thread about ballistic protection is here
  4. i did a technical presentation on this, and found that the answer was <cue drum roll> ... NO!
  5. Soldier 5 you are right the protection levels of the Para helmet are not the same as MK6, that why Para's get issued Two the Para helmet is not classed as a Combat Helmet it is (Helmet Parachute) is will protect your head against impact. The new MK7 as a greater level of protection.
  6. why do you need a seperate helmet to jump out of aeroplanes anyway ? This isnt a wahh .
  7. A colleague of mine took a Mk 6 out hunting with him the other day as an experiment, whereby he fired .234 (civvy version of 5.56) rounds at it from approx 100m. They shredded the helmet - in and out no problem.
  8. Well of course it went in and out no problem.

But in the real situation there will be a Noggin there to prevent overpenetration.
  9. Fact:

The Para helmet has the lowest fragmentation of any military helmet available. There is no difference between old para helmets and the new ones - only a different paint finish.

The helmet was designed in the late 1970's when doctors were worried that any additional weight on the head could cause wiplash on landing - subsequently the US brought in a standard Inf helmet for both ground and airborne troops which was significantly heavier than Mk6 and the para helmet, disproving this hypothesis.

The helmet has a life of 10 years, any helmet over 10 years is likely to have degraded to such a point it is dangerous.

If the para helmet perfromance was not so low - it would not have been banned for use on Op TELIC.
  10. Fact:

The PASGAT helmet issued to US troops is significantly lighter that the British MK6 and weighs about the same as a British para helmet, I know as I've worn one whilst on an exchange visit. US airborne troops are issued with a different strap and internal padding assembly to provide better impact protection and to prevent the helmet from loosening on impact.
  11. Sorry, not true:

US Army PASGT helmet: 1.63Kg
    USMC lightweight version of PASGT: 1.38Kg
    UK standard Mk6: 1.4Kg
    UK Para helmet: 1.1Kg

However, the UK Mk6 is the only military helmet in the world that meets international crash helmet standards for bump protection. I understand that this is considered pretty useful in the back of a Warrior, or when half-bricks are flying about. By comparison, the bump protection on the PASGT is very poor. The PASGT does offer 9mm protection, but just how essential is this on the modern battlefield?

I suppose I should offer an OPSEC disclaimer that all of this info is freely available via official websites.
  12. GN I stand corrected. My exchange was with the USMC so that's probably why their helmets felt light but I could have sworn that their PASGT helmets felt a lot lighter than my MK6.
  13. Just had a bluey off my mate who is on herrick and he says and i quote "Lying jealous HAT ***** we are all wearing our para helmets out here just like we did on telic 6 and the war phase in 2003" Oh and i can vouch for this as i was on the latter two tours with him when i was in 3 para!!!!! and my friend who is ex PF and now has a 16aa brigade posting and he has it on brigadier Butler's authority that PF SF PARA regt and all trained parachutists including para trained commando units will always reserve the rights to wear their para helmets as the helmet does offer the required protection for the way they operate and this includes telic herric and even NI in non P.O. capacity so there na na na na na !!!!
  14. How apt. You posted in a thread named "Helmets".