Helmets that are allowed on tour?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quick question to clarify... Is it the case that the only helmet allowed to Herrick is the Mk6A and the Mk6/Para have been banned and are being phased out of use?

Thanks

the_boy_syrup

LE
Book Reviewer
There was a massive thread over in the Infantry forums about this

BBear

LE
Kit Reviewer
I'm reliably informed that the only Lid allowed is what's issued to you on deployment.

Fluffy_Wibble said:
Quick question to clarify... Is it the case that the only helmet allowed to Herrick is the Mk6A and the Mk6/Para have been banned and are being phased out of use?

Thanks
I think it was last year that a Coroner gave MOD serious stick because a soldier had been killed while wearing his own helmet. MOD were told they had a Duty to ensure that troops wore the latest issue etc etc.

the_boy_syrup

LE
Book Reviewer
Awesome... Thanks for that. Having a discussion about it this morning and we weren't sure.

Just waiting to exchange my 6 for the 6A. fun, fun, fun in the sun...

Fluffy_Wibble said:
Awesome... Thanks for that. Having a discussion about it this morning and we weren't sure.

Just waiting to exchange my 6 for the 6A. fun, fun, fun in the sun...
I understand Mk7 is on issue for Infantry at least on Herrick.

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
jack-daniels said:
Or you could wear an oversize one and look a twat!
He doesn't need the helmet for that, JD

CAARPS said:
I am very, very, reliably informed that RTMC are issuing MK6A at the moment
Just going by what the MOD press release said and the further discussion on here. I think it was mainly for forward units, particularly INF.

EX_STAB said:
CAARPS said:
Just going by what the MOD press release said and the further discussion on here. I think it was mainly for forward units, particularly INF.
The Mk 7 is on issue in theatre . It arrived a few months ago.

I went from a medium Mk6a and had to get a large Mk 7 to get a decent fit. :?

EX_STAB said:
CAARPS said:
I don’t doubt you mate, I am sure that they will have MK7 for those IR’s that our lords and masters think require them.

The bottom line is if the OP is in a unit he will get the correct issue through his QM, if he is an IR RTMC will sort him.

Edited to add, once he gets their, it’s his choice and on his own head be it :D

jack-daniels said:
Or you could wear an oversize one and look a twat!
he didnt need the helmet to look a twat.

The last I heard is the Mk7 is availible in M and L only at the moment.

The rumour was that once it was issued you kept it with your old Mk6 or 6A being handed back in.

RTMC told me (a stinking STAB) to keep my 6A upon return. Just need to persuade my unit to take my 6 off me. As well as all the other junk I have been issued but never worn, lightwieghts, shirts etc.

I was told that the reason was that once you have been issued better protection you cannot go back to the inferior type.

No doubt someone will jump all over that statement but it is what I was told.

tearsbeforebedtime said:
The last I heard is the Mk7 is availible in M and L only at the moment.

The rumour was that once it was issued you kept it with your old Mk6 or 6A being handed back in.

RTMC told me (a stinking STAB) to keep my 6A upon return. Just need to persuade my unit to take my 6 off me. As well as all the other junk I have been issued but never worn, lightwieghts, shirts etc.

I was told that the reason was that once you have been issued better protection you cannot go back to the inferior type.

No doubt someone will jump all over that statement but it is what I was told.
I had to return my 6A after H9 as (so I was told) it's specific for Herrick and Telic. Back to my Mk 6 then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Good CO The Intelligence Cell 3
H Royal Signals 5
Hairyhaw Weapons, Equipment & Rations 36