Helmet chin straps, where to buy online?

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by the_mounty, Apr 26, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Can anyone point me in the right direction. I'm trying to obtain a new helmet chin strap. Preferably similar to that of the new MK 7 helmet. I've tried ebay but with limited success. I'm not interested in the MK 6A or 'PARA' strap, looking for a more comfortable version. Any help (less sarcasm) welcomed.

2. Mr_Fingerz

Mr_Fingerz LE Book Reviewer

Man at Q&M?

3. Since they'll hold the correct chinstrap for the fittings of the helmet, 6/6A/7 that you have been issued with and free of charge.

4. the chin strap is for a non issued helmet, I recieved for doing a job for 'them' on tour. Hence why I can't approach my friendly QM.

5. So it's a US ACH, probably made by Gentex, and therefore designed for and tested with an ACH chinstrap.

Don't put a different chinstrap on it, or modify it or any other piece of ballistic protective equipment in any way.

If you are working with the people who gave it to you and are covered by their rules you can wear it on ops. If not, don't. It gives less protection than green army kit.

6. I don't think it's a US ACH. Looks wise its almost identical to the MK 7. The outer finish is black as apposed to the desert/tan finish on the MK 7. I understand the lesser protective qualities. Only planned to use it a lighter alternative to MK6A on uk exerices, blank firing ones naturally.

7. Hi mate, as someone who manufactures helmets, i may be able to help.
    Drop me an email at Intelligent Armour Limited.

We have our own range of helmets that we supply to the FCO, HMRC & DFID etc.

Email me and i will send you photos of the harness, that said send me your helmet and i will fit a new harness.
    Cost £40.00 inc VAT & Shipping

8. Mongo

Mongo LE Reviewer

Post a pic of the helmet and I'm sure someone can help. Alternatively if it has a label on the inside let us know what it says on it.

9. OK, it's an SFCTT helmet, which is fine to use - it is essentially a Mk7 by a different name and has the same levels of protection.

I would strongly advise you use the chinstrap it comes with even so, which I'm guessing is black and has no chin cup?

The chinstrap shown above is for a Mk6 / Mk6a three point harness, not a Mk 7 five point harness.

10. It came without a chinstrap - hence the boy's problem (prob'ly why it was buckshee, too).

If you are right, it begins to feel like he will need to locate a manufacturer: I haven't seen any spares for Mk7s, and was a bit surprised to find the one I did.

Not knowing how the Mk7 straps work, and given that he's looking to wear it on Ex, as a weightsaver in lieu of a Mk6, is it a given that the Mk 6 strap won't fit/will be unsafe in some way?

11. The SFCT will accept, and work with, the MKVI chin strap, but the correct strap is black nylon webbing without a chin cup. As pointed out above, and in other threads, using a different strap can affect performance. The SFCT has been issued outside 'their' circles for use by vehicle commanders, and when covered isn't too obviously different from the MKVI/A design. The original strap fits right under the chin, almost against the throat, and is quite different from the MKVI design. I don't know if this is just to allow better integration with a resi or as part of the helmet 'system', the fitting points are the same on all 3 helmets. Hope that helps.

Dom

12. An aside - just before the original Mk 6 kevlar bonedome entered service in the early 80s, the padding had to be modified at very short notice - because you could not wear it with the (then) new S10 respirator.

Neither procurement team had thought to consult the other over the simple matter of compatibility.

And when I wore the respirator for shooting, I was pretty well convinced nobody had studied the match between my ressie eyepieces and my SA80 optic sight, either.

13. The snipers in my Bn were issued the sfct helmet on H 10 it takes the 6 and 6a chinstrap but most of our blokes got a para helmet chinstrap and use it as it sits better under the chin.

hope this helps,

Steve,

Swift and Bold.

14. Troops I am just doing some checking but I believe that thinking the SFCT helmet and the mark 7 are the same is completely incorrect. No details for obvious reasons but the SFCT was made to meet a different threat than the Mk7. The chin strap might fit but don't think that just because the cut is the same so is the performance.

More tomorrow