Helly Hanson Boxer Shorts or Cycling Shorts?

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by BrizzleO, Apr 29, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I'm start training May 9th and have no previous millitary experience. We were told that cycling shorts are good to wear on exercise as they stop chaffing thighs etc. I bought a couple of pairs of HH boxershorts thinking they would be similar but the texture of them is quite rough and the stitching sticks out a bit. My questions are:

Does anyone have any experience of these and if so are they any good at preventing chaffing etc?

If they are s*it they can anyone suggest a good pair of cycling shorts at a reasonable price?

Would appreciate any info so thanks in advance.

2. I don't know about hh pants but i where under armour pants and there good
  3. Neither of the above I suspect. Proper cycling pants will have padded seats to reduce chafing agin the saddle - you are probably looking for compression shorts (knee length, Lycra/Spandex) as worn by rugby players. Cotton Traders do them at a decent price at the right time of the year.

Although I have run in them/similar items, I have no experience of them as underwear substitutes - I always found a well-fitting pair of cotton briefs perfectly comfortable.

I'd be very cautious about wearing artificial fibres next to the skin for prolonged periods in unhygienic, sweaty conditions, but I am told they are good for reducing friction on one-off events such as speed marches.
  4. I use HH boxer shorts for all my training, OPs and exercises and find them brilliant, they are more comfortable than the issue ones and have the same antibacterial properties. I have worn them for 8 weeks in Belize without any problems.

I am an Infantry Captain, so not sitting at desk, quite yet!!

Hope this helps.
  5. It's only a matter of time, trust me :D :wink:
  6. Resembling the penguin aka batman, i found i had to slice off the extra material as it was touching my ankles :x
  7. I have worn both HH, and Under Armour, (not at the same time), and found Under Armour to be better, but there are pricey approx £15 a pair.
  8. Ah - those movie star looks again.

[align=center]All is vanity and vexation of spirit.
    Ecclesiastes i. 14[/align]